Forum Discussion

rich2
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Mini box remote no longer powers on/off

URC 2220-R remote can no longer power on and off the TV.  All other functions work and it has previously worked since I got the mini box.   I have 2 other mini boxes and this remote cannot power up them either.  These other 2 remotes also cannot power up the first TV.   Therefore, not clear whether the problem is with the remote or the mini box.   Thanks for any assistance.

5 Replies

• Hi Rich2, try inserting new batteries into the remote control and then reset the remote control to factory defaults. To factory reset the remote, hold setup until the LED turns green and then enter 9, 8, 1. If the code is entered successfully, the LED will blink green two times and the remote will be reset to factory defaults. (All RF pairing information and TV control will be reset and the remote will operate in IR mode.) Then, with the remote in clear line of sight to the TV, press the Menu button on the remote, select Remote Control, and press the OK button. Select Remote Control Pairing for on-screen instructions to complete the pairing process. (Hold the Setup button on the remote until the LED turns green and then press the Menu button to bring up the code entry popup. Once you enter the pairing code, you should receive a "pairing success" message. Does the remote power the TV on and off after completing these steps? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      rich2
      New Contributor II

I hold setup and LED flashes RED once then after a while RED twice.   No response when 981 is entered.  Pressing Menu button does not offer an on-screen Remote Control option.  The remote I am using is a mini-box remote URC-2220-R.

donpratt
    New Contributor

Whatever you do, don’t let Cox replace your mini boxes with the new Contour boxes. We were having the exact same problem with our mini box remotes. The only solution Cox offered was to replace them with the new models, with a higher monthly charge. The new boxes are terrible. I’d recommend you just live with using a different remote to turn your TV on and off.

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post at Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

You replied to a 6-year old post.  The OP last posted in the forums 3 years ago. 

I realize you've already replaced your mini box.  But if you were having the exact same problem as the OP, the remote performed mini box functions but wouldn't power on the TV.  The issue would have been caused by the remote or the TV, not the mini box.  For future references, before replacing a mini box when the remote won't perform TV functions, try replacing the batteries.  If you don't have fresh batteries available, take the battery cover off and spin the old ones inside.  If the TV powers on, the issue is just weak batteries that need to be replaced.  If the TV still doesn't power on then or with fresh batteries, take the old remote to a Cox store and replace it.  Don't forget to take your new batteries out first.