Forum Discussion

81mdtrail
New Contributor
6 years ago

HD channel lineup

I just received an email about COX’s plan to move HD channels. 

This is a bad decision and does not make sense. Many people, like myself, have smart remotes, many DVR settings and other home automation that rely on current channel placement. Please reconsider!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

On Jun 8, 2018, at 9:41 AM, Cox Communications, Inc. <residential@email.cox.com> wrote:

To view this email in a browser, please click here
Para ver en español haz clic aquí

Dear Barry,

On June 12th, Cox will relocate High Definition (HD) channels to where you find their equivalent Standard Definition (SD) channels today. That means you'll be able to access your shows and movies with higher picture quality on shorter, easy-to-remember channel numbers.

This change will happen automatically. Your DVR recordings of HD channels will not be affected by the channel number change. But HD shows that are currently set to record in SD will need to be set to record in HD. Once complete, you'll be able to enjoy all your favorite HD shows and movies.

SEE YOUR CHANNEL LINEUP AT COX.COM/CHANNELS

WHAT IF THERE IS NO HD VERSION OF A CHANNEL?
In these instances, the SD version will remain at its current position.

WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO FIND HD CHANNELS AT THEIR CURRENT NUMBERS?
Yes. You will be able to find HD channels positioned above channel 1000 at their current numbers.

VISIT COX.COM/CHANNELS FOR YOUR CHANNEL LINEUP

Sincerely,
Cox Communications

5 Replies

• Hi 81mdtrail, while this change may require that you update your scheduled series recording preferences, it should make for a better Contour experience in the long run. Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. I have forwarded your post to our video product managers so your voice will be heard! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      81mdtrail
      New Contributor

Can you explain exactly how this change will make for a better experience?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Better experience?  There will be fewer buttons to press.  However, the lack of foresight has created your inconvenience.

This "relocation" should have occurred 9 years ago during the digital transition.  Providers knew there would eventually be a day when SD sets (SDTV, 480i, 4:3) would be eliminated through attrition, so they should have originally planned for that day.  All HD channels should have been assigned to fewer-digit frequencies.

But they waited while smarts, automation and convenience consumed everything digital.  Cox should have done this in 2009 and forced the Luddites to press 4 buttons.