Forum Discussion

carrollton2292
New Contributor
7 years ago

Mixing Contour and non-Contour equipment?

Have two stand-alone HD-DVR's (Motorola 3416/3400).  One was giving me multiple issues, so went to Cox Store to get it replaced.  Asked if I could get a 2 tuner Contour box.  Associate asked if I had any other DVR's, and then told me I would have to replace both boxes if I wanted to upgrade to Contour.

I asked several times why this was so, and just got the same answer that I couldn't have both an old-style box and a new Contour box.  I finally gave up and asked if they could just replace the defective ones with the same type, and I was given another 3416 (which is OK by me).

Anyone know WHY you can't have one Contour DVR and one non-Countour DVR?  I understand they won't network or whatever to give you whole home DVR, etc., but that didn't seem to be what the employee meant.  Or is it just a Cox rule to drive everything to Contour?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • CarrollB,

The platforms are incompatible and should not be activated at the same time on any account.

• Great.  That's the same sort of non-answer I got at the store.  Does upgrading to Contour change the signal coming into my house somehow?  If I can self-install, that doesn't seem to be the case.  Anyone?

StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    It doesn't change the signal coming in but it changes the platform used to access the broadcast. The platform in this context is the software used. Contour 1 uses one software to access the video feed and the New Contour uses a different one. The two softwares are not compatible. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.