Forum Discussion

SBJohn
New Contributor
7 years ago

Contour for Apple TV

Where is Contour for AppleTV?  I have seen this question posted for over a year and the answer from Cox representatives is always the same - we don't have it and we'll let you know.  As an example, the TV Starter package in my area includes SpikeTV, which I found out is unusual.  I can watch Spike thru Contour on my iPhone or iPad, but the standalone SpikeTV app does not work and says I don't have a subscription.  Because Contour isn't availalbe for AppleTV, I can't watch Spike on AppleTV.  Contacted Cox and after some back and forth (including Cox trying to blame Spike), I was told my situation was unusual and there were no plans to fix it.

Get it together Cox!  Been a customer for over 25 years. Time to do something about this.  Don't want to hear the typical meaningless answer.  Get someone in development or management to respond with either an explanation or a date.  Thanks.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    SBJohn,

The entitlement to view the channel is based off the subscription service. For example, if you subscribe to TV Starter, you should have access to all the TV Starter channels when applicable. If you are not getting the channel, we can review the entitlements to confirm. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with the account details, your user name, and a link to this post.

As far as the actual launch dates of new products and services, we are not given the dates as this information is proprietary information and only given to the team that is specifically working on that project. Customer service representatives are given the information the same time customer are notified in the statement.

SBJohn
    New Contributor

Well, at least this is a new meaningless answer - it's proprietary!  When Apple announced their new AppleTV yesterday, they also announced it would soon support Amazon's streaming service.  This is what reminded me of the inability of Cox to release a compatible app and prompted me to challenge Cox on the forum.  Your response is just another failure to address the problem/question.

In regards to getting access to Spike, I already wasted enough time on this - it doesn't work and Cox knows about it.  Instead of asking your customer to pursue this, why doesn't someone (like whoever gets this response) take the time and effort to find out what is going on?  The "you should have access to all the TV Starter channels when applicable" response is not helpful.  Of course I should have access!

Again, both for me and on behalf of many of your customers, we want to know what the plans are to release a compatible app for AppleTV.  This is yet another reason Cox is losing customers.  Forward to management and try again. 

• Hi SBJohn,

We do not have any details to share regarding the addition of the Contour App to AppleTV at this time. If you like, we can send your feedback to our Product Development Team requesting the app be added to that platform.

I went to http://www.spike.com/ and was able to login with my Cox ID without error. We'd be happy to troubleshoot this further with you. If you'd like proceed, please feel free to email us at cox.help@cox.com with the info that Stephanie requested.

Thank you,
    SBJohn
    New Contributor

I didn’t expect you or Stephanie (or whoever gets this response) to know the answer.  I’ve asked both times for someone to forward this to management or development – asking me if I want you to do this gives me the impression you didn’t read my post. Please forward this to development/management or the appropriate person/department at Cox. Hope that is clear enough.

The only way to reproduce my Spike issue is to create an account that matches mine exactly (troubleshooting 101).  This means creating an account that has the TV Starter package from the Santa Barbara market.  After that try watching Spike thru Contour on any Apple device (except AppleTV!).  Then try installing the Spike app on the same device and try again.  Let me know the results.  Thanks.

• SBJohn

I'm sending an email to the department that may be able to assist with this problem that you're having with the Spike app. I've asked that department to please point me in the right direction if they cannot help me out. Please hang in there while I attempt to figure out why this is a problem. As soon as I hear back, I'll reach out to you here.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    SBJohn
    New Contributor

10 days later.  Wish I were surprised.  Please let me know what you have done about finding out about Contour for AppleTV and the issues I have described above.  It would be great to have someone in Dev or Mgmt post here or contact me directly.  I'm MUCH more interested in having Contour for AppleTV than having my Spike issue resolved, and I am genuinely interested in why this can't be done.  I look forward to the day I can use AppleTV to access Cox (thru the channel guide!), Netflix, Sling, and Amazon content.

• Hi SBJohn,
    I have Made sure that the product development team has been made aware of you interest in contour for apple TV. I do not have any information about being developed If we do launch this feature in the future we will announce it on our website as well as in the news section of your bill. Our product development team and the group that decides what products are invested in are not a customer facing department. They will accept input that we can relay to them through product requests like the one that we have submitted on your behalf.

SBJohn
    New Contributor

OK.  Now, all we need to do is fix the Spike issue on Apple TV.  Don't ask before looking at the previous posts.