Forum Discussion

Johnaz
New Contributor
13 years ago

Is there something wrong with the Cisco Explorer 8642HDC Firmware

I recently had the trusty Scientific Altanta DVR replaced after a Service Call about being unable to view ON Demand movies.

The new Cisco box worked ok for  few days until we tried to view a recorded program. It stuttered and was generally unwatchable on the playback. That started to occur watching live TV too. Was this a bad disk? Another symptom was that viewing the guide shrank the live TV picture as expected, but when exiting from the Guide, the picture remained small in the upper right quadrant. Changing channels didn't reset. A complete reset by unplugging power was the only way to get it back. The continued playback stutter made me visit a store for an exchange.

The second unit seemed OK, but suffered from the same stuuer playback. I left the stuttering program on what I thought might be bad disk, and subsequent recorded shows seemed fine. This morning I noticed the program playing through this box, was about 5 seconds delayed from the same program playing through a non-DVR box, where previously they had been in perfect sync. I clicked the guide, and the same shrunken picture state happened.

I have been searching issues with the Cisco boxes and the stutter is mentioned a lot.

Is the box subject to overheating - it is in a cabinet with glass doors.

Can I get a Scientific Atlanta DVR Cable box. I am seriously considering a move to satellite

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion