Forum Discussion

Yankee_Girl
New Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

DVD PLAYER

I have a DVD Player. I had a digital cable box installed. I was told that my DVD player would work with it. Stupid me...did not try to use it till months later. It is not Cox's equipment. It is not their problem. I understand the box must be hooked up to the VCR and VCR to the TV. How does it work with the channel 3 or 4 issue as both channels are used by a broadcasted station? I would pay Cox to install the VCR correctly but they do not porvide service for this.

• Yankee Girl said:

The cable box is a Motorola DCH3200. The TV is Toshiba 37E200U. The DVD player is Sylvania SSD800. Theere are  9 Input selections on the Tv. It is set on colorstream HD to work with the cable box. The other inputs are ANT/CABLE, video 1, video 2, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, HDMI 4, and PC. The present connection from DVD player to TV is ANT-IN which connects thru the cabinet tthen to the TV. I am thinking that connect is for use with just basic cable where you set  the TV on channel 3 or 4. Am I wrong on that? The DVR does not record...only records on VHS. So recording is not an issue. The Cox cable tech told us we could NOT record,,,that was OK with us. If we are not recording, I thought the VCR player would not need to be connected to the cable box. That is why I connected audio and video lines from the DVD player to TV...thinking I could set input on TV to video 1 or 2 to view DVD''s from the DVD player. Now I am thinking...that is input  for an extra monitor.

If I do not need to connect the DVD player to cable box, I would rather go that route. With the DVD player not be HD will any of these input selctions work? I need to know EXACTLY what cables I need and what are the EXACT output and input connections are. I heard the word S-video...That is GREEK to me.

Thanks. I hope I gave you enough info which makes sense,,,so you can direct me as how to connect the DVD player to work.

You have your DCH3200 STB connected to your TV with component cables. "Colorstream" is just Toshiba's name for component video. You can connect your DVD/VCR "Antenna Out" jack (manual #67) to your TV's "ANT/CABLE" input using standard coaxial cable, or you can connect the "DVD/VCR VIDEO OUT" (yellow, manual #63) to your TV's video 1 jack and audio out jacks (R/W, manual #59) to the TV's R/W audio for Video 1. Then simply choose the correct input with your remote.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator

If your TV has available inputs such as composite, component, hdmi, or s-video and the DVD player has similar outputs you could connect it using the appropriate cables and use the TVs switch input feature to toggle between viewing different devices.

• The TV is HD and has the input set for colorstream HD. I set input to video 1 ,then video 2... does not work.  There is a cable line to the TV. I have some people tell me you do not need to hook the cable box to the VCR. I tried hooking up other wires from VCR to TV which are audio and video...that did not work. When I disconnected...I could not get my cable remote to work...had to get reset. I am green when it comes to video and audio equipment...that is why I paid to having the cable box put in. The fact that people say you can do it different ways...is greek to me. I take that it depends on what kind of TV and VCR you have. The VCR worked on the HD TV before the tech installed the box. I use the VCR so very little. It has about a year since the box was install. So COX looks at it as it is my equipment...my problem. I understand that but I just want to use the VCR. This why I avoid a cable box. It just makes things more complex. I am good with comuters but not with video and audio. I understand the input on the TV, I would think with this the cable box would not need to be connected to the VCR. If I am correct on that, what needs to connected to what from the VCR to the TV. If it was up to me, I just return the cable box. My husband wants it. Like Cox, my husband does not care about the VCR. I known for months that it does not work...he will not take the time to help me resolve it. I can not even pay Cox to help me resolve the problem...they do not provide service for issues related to your own equipment.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Yankee Girl said:

The TV is HD and has the input set for colorstream HD. I set input to video 1 ,then video 2... does not work.  There is a cable line to the TV. I have some people tell me you do not need to hook the cable box to the VCR. I tried hooking up other wires from VCR to TV which are audio and video...that did not work. When I disconnected...I could not get my cable remote to work...had to get reset. I am green when it comes to video and audio equipment...that is why I paid to having the cable box put in. The fact that people say you can do it different ways...is greek to me. I take that it depends on what kind of TV and VCR you have. The VCR worked on the HD TV before the tech installed the box. I use the VCR so very little. It has about a year since the box was install. So COX looks at it as it is my equipment...my problem. I understand that but I just want to use the VCR. This why I avoid a cable box. It just makes things more complex. I am good with comuters but not with video and audio. I understand the input on the TV, I would think with this the cable box would not need to be connected to the VCR. If I am correct on that, what needs to connected to what from the VCR to the TV. If it was up to me, I just return the cable box. My husband wants it. Like Cox, my husband does not care about the VCR. I known for months that it does not work...he will not take the time to help me resolve it. I can not even pay Cox to help me resolve the problem...they do not provide service for issues related to your own equipment.

To connect both your "cable box" and your VCR to your TV, we need to know what inputs your TV has, and how your "cable box" is connected to your TV. You mention that your TV is HD, but don't say if your "cable box" is HD. If it is, only connecting it to your TV with HDMI or component cables will give you HD. Is the "cable box" just a regular STB or is it a DVR? Do you want to RECORD off of your "cable box" on to your VCR? Give us the model numbers of your TV, "cable box", and VCR if you can, and tell us EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

• The cable box is a Motorola DCH3200. The TV is Toshiba 37E200U. The DVD player is Sylvania SSD800. Theere are  9 Input selections on the Tv. It is set on colorstream HD to work with the cable box. The other inputs are ANT/CABLE, video 1, video 2, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, HDMI 4, and PC. The present connection from DVD player to TV is ANT-IN which connects thru the cabinet tthen to the TV. I am thinking that connect is for use with just basic cable where you set  the TV on channel 3 or 4. Am I wrong on that? The DVR does not record...only records on VHS. So recording is not an issue. The Cox cable tech told us we could NOT record,,,that was OK with us. If we are not recording, I thought the VCR player would not need to be connected to the cable box. That is why I connected audio and video lines from the DVD player to TV...thinking I could set input on TV to video 1 or 2 to view DVD''s from the DVD player. Now I am thinking...that is input  for an extra monitor.

If I do not need to connect the DVD player to cable box, I would rather go that route. With the DVD player not be HD will any of these input selctions work? I need to know EXACTLY what cables I need and what are the EXACT output and input connections are. I heard the word S-video...That is GREEK to me.

Thanks. I hope I gave you enough info which makes sense,,,so you can direct me as how to connect the DVD player to work.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Yankee Girl said:

The cable box is a Motorola DCH3200. The TV is Toshiba 37E200U. The DVD player is Sylvania SSD800. Theere are  9 Input selections on the Tv. It is set on colorstream HD to work with the cable box. The other inputs are ANT/CABLE, video 1, video 2, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, HDMI 4, and PC. The present connection from DVD player to TV is ANT-IN which connects thru the cabinet tthen to the TV. I am thinking that connect is for use with just basic cable where you set  the TV on channel 3 or 4. Am I wrong on that? The DVR does not record...only records on VHS. So recording is not an issue. The Cox cable tech told us we could NOT record,,,that was OK with us. If we are not recording, I thought the VCR player would not need to be connected to the cable box. That is why I connected audio and video lines from the DVD player to TV...thinking I could set input on TV to video 1 or 2 to view DVD''s from the DVD player. Now I am thinking...that is input  for an extra monitor.

You have your DCH3200 STB connected to your TV with component cables. "Colorstream" is just Toshiba's name for component video. You can connect your DVD/VCR "Antenna Out" jack (manual #67) to your TV's "ANT/CABLE" input using standard coaxial cable, or you can connect the "DVD/VCR VIDEO OUT" (yellow, manual #63) to your TV's video 1 jack and audio out jacks (R/W, manual #59) to the TV's R/W audio for Video 1. Then simply choose the correct input with your remote.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

What I'm not clear on at this point is what types of outputs your DVD player has.  That will determine what sort of connection is possible between the TV and the DVD player.