Forum Discussion

OscarTheGrouch
New Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

When is a Tuning Adapter required?

Is a Tuning Adapter (TA) required on all CableCARD ready devices (ie: TiVo, HDHomerun Prime, Centon), if you do not subscribe to channels outside of the Cox Advanced TV package (No HBO, Showtime, etc. and don't use OnDemand or other Pay-per-view)?

In other words, are any of the channels included in the Cox Advanced TV package (NBC, CNN, Discovery, etc.) broadcast via switched digital video (SDV) and require a TA to tell the Cox headend unit that you wish to watch "xyz", so it starts sending it down the cable?

• Are you actually going to purchase a Retail CableCARD device? If so which one?

SDV varies from Market to Market. and Cox no longer lists a notation for SDV on the PDF Channel Listings, (Cox did several years ago)

Here in Phoenix, most every SD Essential channel is SDV, and many HD Essential channels are also.

A Cox Tech spokesperson has said that once a Market completes the All Digital transition, (No more Analogs), that all the Starter and Essential Channels will no longer be SDV.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30174514-

But all the Paks above Essential will most likely be SDV.

• Bonus Pak
    • Faith & Values Pak
    • Variety Pak
    • Movie Pak
    • Sports & Info Pak
    • Sports Pak 2
    • All Premium channels except, HBO, HBO2, Showtime, and Starz

This is the list of Cox Phoenix Essential HD channels that use SDV

Cox7HD
    KTAZ - Telemundo HD
    Spike HD
    MTV HD
    FS1HD
    HLNHD
    AETVHDP
    TruTV HD
    Galavision HD
    SCCER
    Animal Planet HD
    TVLand P HD
    HSTRYHP
    MSNBC HD
    MoviePlex HD
    FXXPHD
    FBNHD
    Turner Classic Movies HD
    National Geographic P HD
    Fox Sports Arizona Plus HD
    TVGNHD (POPHDP)
    UDNHD 
    FBNHD
    QVCHD

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Oscar,

Tuning Adapters enable compatible CableCARD devices to tune SDV channels. The Cox Advanced TV package includes multiple SDV channels within the Movie, Variety, and Sports & Info Paks.
  • Becky said:
    Hi Oscar,

Tuning Adapters enable compatible CableCARD devices to tune SDV channels. The Cox Advanced TV package includes multiple SDV channels within the Movie, Variety, and Sports & Info Paks.

Becky, thanks for the response. Yes, I understand what SDV and Terminal Adapters are and what they are used for. Where is a listing that specifies the current channels broadcast over SDV for the Cox Advanced TV packages? I am trying to determine if I need a TA when I do not watch OnDemand or other Pay-Per-View offerings.

Cox Advanced TV (Cleveland, OH)
    Includes:
     > Cox TV Starter
     > Expanded Service
     > Faith & Values Pak
     > Advanced TV Services

I tried to word my question in the simplest form, maybe I over simplified it. If I have a CableCARD and no TA with the above programming selection, will Cox at some point start requiring a TA to view channels such as Local Broadcasts, CNN, CSPAN, MTV, Music Channels? I do not have HBO, Showtime or any of the other premium channels, and I do not utilize your OnDemand services. I do not care about losing your Channel Guide. With that said, is there anything else I would be missing that the current Cisco/SA HD DVR is receiving?

I find nothing on your site that states "when" a TA is required, other than when a customer is viewing a SDV channel. Please point me to a listing of channels that are delivered vis SDV and require a TA to view.

Thanks.

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Are you actually going to purchase a Retail CableCARD device? If so which one?

SDV varies from Market to Market. and Cox no longer lists a notation for SDV on the PDF Channel Listings, (Cox did several years ago)

Here in Phoenix, most every SD Essential channel is SDV, and many HD Essential channels are also.

A Cox Tech spokesperson has said that once a Market completes the All Digital transition, (No more Analogs), that all the Starter and Essential Channels will no longer be SDV.

But all the Paks above Essential will most likely be SDV.

• Bonus Pak
    • Faith & Values Pak
    • Variety Pak
    • Movie Pak
    • Sports & Info Pak
    • Sports Pak 2
    • All Premium channels except, HBO, HBO2, Showtime, and Starz

This is the list of Cox Phoenix Essential HD channels that use SDV

Cox7HD
    KTAZ - Telemundo HD
    Spike HD
    MTV HD
    FS1HD
    HLNHD
    AETVHDP
    TruTV HD
    Galavision HD
    SCCER
    Animal Planet HD
    TVLand P HD
    HSTRYHP
    MSNBC HD
    MoviePlex HD
    FXXPHD
    FBNHD
    Turner Classic Movies HD
    National Geographic P HD
    Fox Sports Arizona Plus HD
    TVGNHD (POPHDP)
    UDNHD 
    FBNHD
    QVCHD
  • bryaninphx said:

Are you actually going to purchase a Retail CableCARD device? If so which one?

Thanks for the response Bryaninphx. Yes, I have already purchased a HDHR3-CC and already have a SONY Bravia (which accepts CC). For the other 2 sets that do not have CC, they will use existing PS3s to stream channels from the HDHR3 via DLNA. This setup will require no mini boxes and I plan to return the current HD DVR. With Cox going all digital, it has motivated me to reevaluate this monthly nickle-and-diming tactic that Cox has decided to disenfranchise its customers with.

Here is what I will be saving each month:

- $ 9.99 - DVR Service
    - $ 8.50 - Advanced TV HD DVR Receiver (S/A)
    ----------
    - $18.40 + Tax

I will receive 1 CableCARD for 1 year free. Since I will no longer have an Advanced TV Receiver, the pamphlet states that I should also get a second CC free for 1 year. As for the DVR capabilities, I have a NAS and Win 7 running WMC that will allow me, in the very rare moments I desire to, record live programming.

From what you stated, since the mini boxes do not support SDV, and those boxes should decrypt all the channels I watch; I don't need a TA for the HDHR or the SONY Bravia. The HDHR3 is a refurb and only cost $70. After 4 months it will have paid for itself.

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime is an excellent device with great support.

SiliconDust will release the HDHomeRun DVR software this fall, that is supposed to handle Copy Protected content.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/

I assume you already know about the excessive use by Cox of Copy Protection (or DRM or CCIByte=0x02 Copy Once) and how that effects viewing and recording of most all channels except the Locals.

If not you should start asking questions here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30194203-CableCard-Cisco-1520-TA-SDHomerun-Prime-woes

wees41
    Contributor II

vod will not even work with sdv   I'm pretty sure the tv will not accept a tuning adapter