This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

When is a Tuning Adapter required?

Is a Tuning Adapter (TA) required on all CableCARD ready devices (ie: TiVo, HDHomerun Prime, Centon), if you do not subscribe to channels outside of the Cox Advanced TV package (No HBO, Showtime, etc. and don't use OnDemand or other Pay-per-view)?

In other words, are any of the channels included in the Cox Advanced TV package (NBC, CNN, Discovery, etc.) broadcast via switched digital video (SDV) and require a TA to tell the Cox headend unit that you wish to watch "xyz", so it starts sending it down the cable?

• Hi Oscar,

Tuning Adapters enable compatible CableCARD devices to tune SDV channels. The Cox Advanced TV package includes multiple SDV channels within the Movie, Variety, and Sports & Info Paks.
  • Becky said:
    Hi Oscar,

Tuning Adapters enable compatible CableCARD devices to tune SDV channels. The Cox Advanced TV package includes multiple SDV channels within the Movie, Variety, and Sports & Info Paks.

Becky, thanks for the response. Yes, I understand what SDV and Terminal Adapters are and what they are used for. Where is a listing that specifies the current channels broadcast over SDV for the Cox Advanced TV packages? I am trying to determine if I need a TA when I do not watch OnDemand or other Pay-Per-View offerings.

Cox Advanced TV (Cleveland, OH)
    Includes:
     > Cox TV Starter
     > Expanded Service
     > Faith & Values Pak
     > Advanced TV Services

I tried to word my question in the simplest form, maybe I over simplified it. If I have a CableCARD and no TA with the above programming selection, will Cox at some point start requiring a TA to view channels such as Local Broadcasts, CNN, CSPAN, MTV, Music Channels? I do not have HBO, Showtime or any of the other premium channels, and I do not utilize your OnDemand services. I do not care about losing your Channel Guide. With that said, is there anything else I would be missing that the current Cisco/SA HD DVR is receiving?

I find nothing on your site that states "when" a TA is required, other than when a customer is viewing a SDV channel. Please point me to a listing of channels that are delivered vis SDV and require a TA to view.

Thanks.

• Are you actually going to purchase a Retail CableCARD device? If so which one?

SDV varies from Market to Market. and Cox no longer lists a notation for SDV on the PDF Channel Listings, (Cox did several years ago)

Here in Phoenix, most every SD Essential channel is SDV, and many HD Essential channels are also.

A Cox Tech spokesperson has said that once a Market completes the All Digital transition, (No more Analogs), that all the Starter and Essential Channels will no longer be SDV.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30174514-

But all the Paks above Essential will most likely be SDV.

• Bonus Pak
    • Faith & Values Pak
    • Variety Pak
    • Movie Pak
    • Sports & Info Pak
    • Sports Pak 2
    • All Premium channels except, HBO, HBO2, Showtime, and Starz

This is the list of Cox Phoenix Essential HD channels that use SDV

Cox7HD
    KTAZ - Telemundo HD
    Spike HD
    MTV HD
    FS1HD
    HLNHD
    AETVHDP
    TruTV HD
    Galavision HD
    SCCER
    Animal Planet HD
    TVLand P HD
    HSTRYHP
    MSNBC HD
    MoviePlex HD
    FXXPHD
    FBNHD
    Turner Classic Movies HD
    National Geographic P HD
    Fox Sports Arizona Plus HD
    TVGNHD (POPHDP)
    UDNHD 
    FBNHD
    QVCHD
  • bryaninphx said:

Are you actually going to purchase a Retail CableCARD device? If so which one?

SDV varies from Market to Market. and Cox no longer lists a notation for SDV on the PDF Channel Listings, (Cox did several years ago)

Here in Phoenix, most every SD Essential channel is SDV, and many HD Essential channels are also.

A Cox Tech spokesperson has said that once a Market completes the All Digital transition, (No more Analogs), that all the Starter and Essential Channels will no longer be SDV.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30174514-

Thanks for the response Bryaninphx. Yes, I have already purchased a HDHR3-CC and already have a SONY Bravia (which accepts CC). For the other 2 sets that do not have CC, they will use existing PS3s to stream channels from the HDHR3 via DLNA. This setup will require no mini boxes and I plan to return the current HD DVR. With Cox going all digital, it has motivated me to reevaluate this monthly nickle-and-diming tactic that Cox has decided to disenfranchise its customers with.

Here is what I will be saving each month:

- $ 9.99 - DVR Service
    - $ 8.50 - Advanced TV HD DVR Receiver (S/A)
    ----------
    - $18.40 + Tax

I will receive 1 CableCARD for 1 year free. Since I will no longer have an Advanced TV Receiver, the pamphlet states that I should also get a second CC free for 1 year. As for the DVR capabilities, I have a NAS and Win 7 running WMC that will allow me, in the very rare moments I desire to, record live programming.

From what you stated, since the mini boxes do not support SDV, and those boxes should decrypt all the channels I watch; I don't need a TA for the HDHR or the SONY Bravia. The HDHR3 is a refurb and only cost $70. After 4 months it will have paid for itself.

• The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime is an excellent device with great support.

SiliconDust will release the HDHomeRun DVR software this fall, that is supposed to handle Copy Protected content.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/

I assume you already know about the excessive use by Cox of Copy Protection (or DRM or CCIByte=0x02 Copy Once) and how that effects viewing and recording of most all channels except the Locals.

If not you should start asking questions here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30194203-CableCard-Cisco-1520-TA-SDHomerun-Prime-woes