Picture in Picture?

Picture in Picture?

TV Forum

Activity: 18 Replies | 6 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

I recently got cox whole home DVR installed and was wondering if the PIP should be working? I am in NW Arkansas. 

All Replies
  • Posted by emaildea
    12 Sep 2012 7:00 AM

I'm having the same problem. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and just had the whole home DVR set up yesterday but whenever I

press the PIP button nothing happens. I used to have two DVRs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom and was able

to use the PIP function, pause both shows and go back and forth between shows, but now that I upgraded to the wholehome

DVR I cannot use this useful tool?

Another thing that has me annoyed is that before I was able to pause live tv in both and record up to four shows (two in each

one) but now I can only record two shows? And can't pause live tv in the bedroom because that it is just a receiver. I wonder

if I can exchange the receiver for another DVR in the bedroom because as it is now I might have to return them and get my

old DVR's back. I need to be able to record at least 4 shows and pause live TV in the bedroom and if possible have the PIP

function back. Can Anybody help?

• Posted by Domino
    7 Oct 2012 2:53 PM

The current version of the new "TRIO" IPG does not support PIP. Passport Echo on the older DVRs did support PIP.

• Posted by Frank
    10 Oct 2012 4:26 AM

Don't you just love how the most Advanced TV/Trio/Whole House DVR cox sells has fewer features???  It does not have slow motion either.  Angry Angry

• Posted by Domino
    10 Oct 2012 11:48 PM

Frank

Don't you just love how the most Advanced TV/Trio/Whole House DVR cox sells has fewer features???  It does not have slow motion either.  Angry Angry

I have been told that both the missing slo-mo and the PIP are scheduled for future firmware upgrades,

• Posted by Big fan
    3 Feb 2013 10:52 AM

I live in Washington DC and just got the new Cox DVR Trio package last weekend.  I was surprised to find the PIP function doesn't work.  I called Tech Support (because I had not seen this thread yet) and got the run-around, they said to try hitting the TV button first.  So I did; a PIP showed up but it was all static and was trying to get the source freed from my tv not the cable box.

I hope they do upgrade the firmware soon... I miss PIP.  I agree with you all, it is frustrating that the "new, better box" has less features than what I've been able to get for the last 7 years.

• Posted by wees41
    3 Feb 2013 11:44 PM

Motorola's never supported PIP

• Posted by mels
    15 Feb 2013 8:34 PM

Have to agree with Frank.  It's ludicrous that Advanced TV eliminated the PIP functionality.  Does anyone from Cox ever monitor these forums.  Seems there is less than a 10% response to any issue from a Cox rep.

• Posted by ChrisL
    16 Feb 2013 6:39 AM

The PIP function on the remote is included for TVs that have the PIP feature, it's not for the cable box.

-Chris

Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by MaryFran
    22 Feb 2013 11:22 PM

ChrisL

The PIP function on the remote is included for TVs that have the PIP feature, it's not for the cable box.

Chris,

Ok, how can I use PIP in conjunction with any digital channel? Or what about people who only use a monitor to view their cable? A lot of the newer TV's do not come with a tuner, are these people just out of luck? These cable boxes have multiple tuners (for example: one for viewing, one for recording a different channel) so why doesn't the software allow for PIP directly from the cable box?

• Posted by ChrisL
    23 Feb 2013 6:33 AM

This goes with what I posted before.  PIP is a function of the TV and not our equipment.  If your TV supports PIP and multiple input sources you can use the remote to operate that feature.  It would be necessary to refer to your TV's manual for more information on how to set that up with your specific set.

-Chris

• Posted by MaryFran
    23 Feb 2013 7:52 AM

Chris,

Obviously there is an interest in having the PIP function workable through the cable box alone. Several other cable companies do allow this feature already. (I know this first hand as I have used the feature on a Time Warner Cable DVR box)

Who can I write to, in order to request this feature?

• Posted by ChrisL
    23 Feb 2013 9:38 AM

We can certainly take your feedback here.  We're always interested in hearing of ways to improve our product offering.

-Chris

• Posted by Domino
    23 Feb 2013 3:09 PM

ChrisL

This goes with what I posted before.  PIP is a function of the TV and not our equipment.  If your TV supports PIP and multiple input sources you can use the remote to operate that feature.  It would be necessary to refer to your TV's manual for more information on how to set that up with your specific set.

The PIP function on the DVRs is controlled by the DVR firmware. Passport Echo supported the PIP feature on Cisco/SA DVRs, and I believe SARA did so as well. The buttons on the remote are indeed for use with Cisco equipment if that firmware supports PIP. Strangely, Cox has (so far) decided not to support PIP with its TRIO firmware.

• Posted by MaryFran
    23 Feb 2013 4:50 PM

Domino

ChrisL

The PIP function on the DVRs is controlled by the DVR firmware. Passport Echo supported the PIP feature on Cisco/SA DVRs, and I believe SARA did so as well. The buttons on the remote are indeed for use with Cisco equipment if that firmware supports PIP. Strangely, Cox has (so far) decided not to support PIP with its TRIO firmware.

Now  this is the kind of information I would expect from a customer service representative, not the snub that ChrisL tried to give me. His reply was so blatantly wrong and intentionally misleading, that I completely felt as if my question had been essentially disregarded. I have direct personal knowledge that those buttons can be used by the cable box (my son in law has it on the Timer Warner Cable service), and that the additional internal tuner is the ONLY way that you can get a dual output from the cable box for a truly functional PIP.

I had made up my mind that I would never visit this forum again, until I saw your reply... So thank you Domino. Thank you for providing the technical answer I was looking for. Maybe you said what ChrisL wanted to say (but he was contractually unable to) but anything would have been better than what he tried to pass off as an answer to my questions!

• Posted by wees41
    23 Feb 2013 9:16 PM

Passport Echo needs to support it on the Motorola hardware.