Not so FreeZone

Not so FreeZone

TV Forum

Activity: 13 Replies | 3 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

Hmm, it used to be that  I could see at least 6  of the 12  "free " movie channels now going through the selection process only yields "Subscribe Now!" The only one the works now TCM and FX... both which  are 'free" anyway. 

All Replies
  • Posted by Becky
    12 May 2012 8:34 PM

Hi There,

Some Freezone content is tied to the channels you "subscribe" to through Cox. For example, you can only watch HBO On Demand if you subscribe to HBO on your Cox account. In the same fashion, the Sundance and IFC channels are located in the group of channels called Movie Pak; if you have the Movie Pak of channels on your Cox account, you can view all of the Sundance and IFC On Demand content.

These are requirements dictated by the broadcast networks that allow us to offer their content in On Demand. Broadcast rights govern the distribution of copyrighted content & thus limit what--and how--we can offer content in OnDemand.

Becky K.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by jcnokc
    13 May 2012 7:11 AM

Thanks I do realize that certain things are tied to movie packs but I am refering to the fact the channels I could watch on Friday have disappeared on Saturday . Fear.net in example , did Cox alter the channels  at that time? Thanks 

• Posted by jcnokc
    15 May 2012 10:42 AM

Well  an email tech rep did admit that Cox was re-shuffling the  "Free Zone" but they would be happy to restore previously  "free" channels for $7/month apiece !!! Thanks but no thanks.

• Posted by Becky
    16 May 2012 8:49 PM

Copyright Protection laws permits the owner of the copyright in a literary or artistic work to prevent that work from being copied, broadcast or communicated to the public by cable television. The copyright owner can then license other parties to use the work on either an exclusive or a non-exclusive basis. 

All the changes we make to content in the Cox On Demand Freezone are dictated by the broadcast network or company that owns the content. 

For example, when FEARnet was added to the Freezone, it was not initially tethered to a specific subscription or channel package (per our agreement with FEARnet.) Once the FEARnet channel was officially launched and added to the Cox channel lineup,  FEARnet can dictate to us how they want their content made available.

I apologize that the changes are frustrating. Every cable television and satellite TV company abides by the same laws.

Becky K.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by IceFyre13th
    19 May 2012 12:29 AM

Then would it be too much to ask to remove those types of programs out of the FREE ZONE, as they now are no longer free

• Posted by Housewives ho
    19 May 2012 10:18 AM

I just thought I would check I am noticing that some of the channels I used to watch are not there anymore also.  I am stuck in a bundle package and I am not getting these channels then I want out of my bundle package.

• Posted by Kozi2005
    8 Aug 2012 8:12 PM

I agree - here it is August 2012 and fearnet is still located in the "FreeZone".  I was also very surprised since I have full Cox digital cable including several Premium channels.  The cost keeps going up but the services/availability is going down.  I'm sure you can understand that this does get a bit frustrating from the customer's point of view. 

I'm just now trying Lifetime Movies and FX to start (both also in "Free" Zone) and there is no longer access to these either.  Someone really needs to go through this category and change the label from Free to Extra.

• Posted by joebob
    26 Sep 2012 1:13 AM

You know what is funny? You can still watch fearnet espanol for free . I think I should cry racism.

• Posted by RoughGuess
    26 Dec 2012 8:19 PM

Exactly. WHERE if anywhere in the cox.com advertising mention ANYTHING but "FREE" with regard to the FreeZone???

"Thousands of free..." with no asterisk.

When I tune to channel 1, nowhere does it say content may not be actually free, or require a subscription!

I only find out when I've spent 5-10 minutes choosing a movie only to get the "call to subscribe" screen.

Signed, another pissed off customer.

• Posted by Kozi2005
    26 Dec 2012 8:36 PM

I agree 100%!  One of the reasons given above mentioned HBO and other subscription channels but these programs are not listed in the "Free Zone" so I'm not sure why they were even mentioned by the Cox representative.  I've been emailing for months trying to get someone to look at this but nothing is ever done.  If something is advertised as Free, it shouldn't require a paid subscription.  The subscription channels need a different catagory and need to be removed from the Free Zone.

• Posted by Bruce
    27 Dec 2012 6:34 AM

It's Cox playing bait-and-switch with their customers:

Ooo...Free Zone!

Copyright protection, blah, blah, blah...so we can't show it for free.  Buy a premium channel and you can watch it for free.

• Posted by Diceman074
    29 Dec 2012 3:52 PM

None of my feezone on demand movies are working, Says try again later

• Posted by DrDuty411
    4 Jan 2013 5:01 PM

I just got cable installed and On Demand is nothing special when it comes to any so called "free programing and or content provided" like CBS only carries a few tv programs and NBC the same if COX doesn't change this area I'll probably ditch the service all together why pay for something you can't have full access, it's like the DRM Market model but for cableTV I'd rather go back to Netflix and really have a lot more on demand stuff to pick from.