Contour 2 Caller ID - should it work or has it been removed?

Contour 2 Caller ID - should it work or has it been removed?

TV Forum

Activity: 45 Replies | 4 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

My on-screen Caller ID stopped working a few weeks ago.  I finally got around to calling tech support yesterday.

The tech said that Caller ID feature has been removed.  Yet I read conflicting reports on these forums about that.

I would like to know if there is a problem with my box that I will pursue.

Or has the feature has been removed and I shouldn't waste my time.

So I have a very simple question: As of Oct 2, 1027, should Caller ID work on a Contour 2 box?

Ideally I'd like to get an official answer on this from Cox.

Thanks

All Replies
  • Posted by MarkM1
    8 Oct 2017 1:54 AM

MindyACW,

TV caller ID requires two way communication to show that on the TV. The minibox does not have that feature on it. It also does not have on demand as well. The minibox is just a play box. If you are looking for the features from the Contour box, you will need to get a different cable box for that. We can provide more information if you require it. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name & full address. Check out the following link for more information as well.
    https://www.cox.com/residential/tv/tv-equipment.html

Mark M. 

Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by Allan
    8 Oct 2017 10:28 PM

@TK-70,

I have responded to your email requesting additional information.

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.

• Posted by RvH
    9 Oct 2017 12:14 PM

Thanks. Easy fix

• Posted by 3CatLady
    9 Oct 2017 4:15 PM
    We also lost TV Caller ID a couple of weeks ago, and I want it back! I tried resetting the Contour 2 and our landline phones, but that did not help. Also, when we were switched to Contour 2 (because of so many problems with Advanced TV), we lost some other functions that I would like to see returned, such as: *PIP/split screen *The mini guide *The ability to change scheduled DVR program to start 1-2 minutes late or end 1-2 minute early. Cox, why don't you advise your customers when features on your devices are activated/deactivated? I would really like an answer, please. Thanks
  • Posted by JonathanJ
    9 Oct 2017 5:12 PM
    @RvH

Most welcome please let us know if you have further issues.

Jonathan J

• Posted by DannyS
    11 Oct 2017 12:10 AM

This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally.  We can definitely be able to assist you with this.  Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Danny S.

• Posted by sbm1971
    11 Oct 2017 12:30 PM

will contour 2 ever get the caller id past history back 

• Posted by TiffanyR
    11 Oct 2017 1:37 PM
    Hello sbm1971,

Thank you for your question. We do not have an estimated date on when or if this will be added back to the Contour 2 system.

Tiffany R. 

• Posted by sbm1971
    12 Oct 2017 1:17 PM

THANK YOU COX

i got my cox caller ID fixed what to thank cox for this forum sent my info and it was fixed thank you so much can not see caller id on phone because of eye issues and my pre-diabetes 

thank you thank you

• Posted by ReneeG
    12 Oct 2017 2:11 PM
    sbm1971,

We're glad that it's working! Let us know if you experience any other issues.

Renee G.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

• Posted by TK-70
    14 Oct 2017 12:38 PM

The Cox tech came to my house this morning.  Great guy, very knowledgeable and professional.

I asked if can repair my Caller ID.  Without raising a tool, he said that Caller ID has been removed (for now) from pretty much every Contour 2 box in the Northeast due to technical issues.  Even Comcast's Xfinity boxes have this issue as well.  Caller ID has been removed because it was causing a lot of problems interacting with the recent software upgrades.  It will be reinstated as soon as the issue is fixed.

Simple answer.  That's all I've been asking for.  A real answer.  I can deal with that.  It was the "not knowing" aspect that frustrated me.

I wish the phone support team or the forum support team had this information and could have relayed it to its customers.  It would have saved all of us a bunch of time and effort.

So in summary, the answer is to sit tight and wait for Cox to repair and reinstate Caller ID at some point.  As someone mentioned earlier, the Caller ID Log (not to be confused with Caller ID) will not be reinstated.

Hope this helps!

Tom

• Posted by Bruce
    14 Oct 2017 1:17 PM

To expound on Tom's post, Cox also disabled Caller ID on Rovi in the Mid-Atlantic (Virginia).

I'm completely on the "old system" because I still haven't upgraded my telephone modem.  Everything I have now is the same as before the Cox upgrade, so they must have just disabled Caller ID on TV.

I hate to upgrade because every previous "upgrade" (cable box and DOCSIS 3.0) was either broken or worst than before.

• Posted by DannyS
    14 Oct 2017 9:21 PM

Hello,

The Contour 2 caller ID history was removed, however the basic incoming ID should be available.  Please check your settings menu, under notifications and ensure Contour Voice is turned on.  If you need futher assistance. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Danny S.

• Posted by DannyS
    14 Oct 2017 9:28 PM

Hello,

This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally.  We can definitely be able to assist you with this.  Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Danny S.

• Posted by Bruce
    15 Oct 2017 8:14 AM

Checking settings, enabling and disabling and rebooting the box is so rudimentary, I do it when I'm bored.

Nothing in my account has changed in years.

Tom's tech said you disabled it because you didn't test it and now we can't have it.  That's good enough for me.