NBC Sports Live Extra agreement?

NBC Sports Live Extra agreement?

TV Forum

Activity: 48 Replies | 12 Subscribers

This question has been solved
Posted by

Starting in August, English Premier League soccer will be aired in the US through NBC's collection of networks.  A nice perk that they have is having all games available for viewing via an online service called NBC Sports Live Extra.  It's come to my attention that Cox is not one of the providers which has an agreement with NBC to make this available for their users. (http://epltalk.com/2013/04/16/nbc-announces-details-of-premier-league-coverage-plans-for-2013-14/

"If your TV provider isn’t one of the ones listed below that has an agreement with NBC Sports Live Extra — Comcast xFinity TV, Verizon FIOS, Cablevision or Suddenlink — you’ll need to contact them to urge them to add it before the season starts in August."

As Cox already carries the NBC Sports Network, Telemundo, and NBC free-to-air network I'm hoping that this issue will be something much more passable than whatever inaction there was to get beIN TV on board.

If this can't be rectified, I'm afraid there really won't be anything keeping me from going over to Verizon.  Frankly, positive customer service experience is the only thing keeping me loyal at this point.  So I hope there's some positive news on this. 

All Replies
  • Posted by ChrisL
    3 May 2013 7:20 AM

Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to submit a request for this on your behalf.

-Chris

Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by Wicks
    4 Jun 2013 12:47 PM

There should be no excuse for Cox not to offer this service as NBC is providing it for free. Can some one from Cox give us an update on this please?

• Posted by ChrisL
    5 Jun 2013 7:01 AM

Just to clarify any misunderstandings, networks like NBC charge us fees to carry these services for our customers.  We have to weigh customer demand against the asking rate to determine if adding such services will increase or decrease the value of our overall service offering.

-Chris

• Posted by Domino
    5 Jun 2013 3:13 PM

Wicks

There should be no excuse for Cox not to offer this service as NBC is providing it for free. Can some one from Cox give us an update on this please?

Free to you? Perhaps. Free to Cox? Don't think so.

• Posted by Wicks
    6 Jun 2013 8:46 AM

Your statement is not correct. From the NBC release:

• Games not aired on a designated NBCUniversal channel will be made available to distributors via Premier League Extra Time, a package of overflow television channels available at no extra cost for each of their customers who receives NBC Sports Network

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/04/16/nbc-sports-groups-2013-14-premier-league-programming-plans/

Premier League Extra Time is being offered to Cox for FREE and will cost you no additional money to offer to us customers who already subscribe to NBC Sports Network.

• Posted by bwilliamsdc
    6 Jun 2013 8:52 AM

Wicks, thank you for digging into this.  I managed to miss that.  This is definitely great news for me.  Like I said, I'd really rather not leave Cox so this is the kind of news I wanted to hear.  Ideally, it would be nice to have the web access since that would be the best option to pick the games you watch in real-time but this is a nice workaround if that is not feasible for Cox.

I do understand that nothing is free and if Cox is not providing something that Verizon does not it's probably because there is just more money a bigger corporation can throw around.  It's an unfair world in that way.  Normally, I would never hold a smaller company to ransom, but live sports and premier league in particular are the main reason I still purchase cable services.

Thank you again for finding this good news. 

• Posted by Wicks
    6 Jun 2013 9:03 AM

No problem bwilliamsdc  , sad thing is even thought these channels are being offered free to Cox we are still at their mercy because they have to agree to provide them. As you can see from their forums their customer service is less than ideal. It's very sad that Cox wishes to alienate a rather large customer base who want to follow world soccer by blocking access to the channels that provide the coverage.

• Posted by ChrisL
    6 Jun 2013 9:22 AM

Wicks

Your statement is not correct. From the NBC release:

• Games not aired on a designated NBCUniversal channel will be made available to distributors via Premier League Extra Time, a package of overflow television channels available at no extra cost for each of their customers who receives NBC Sports Network

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/04/16/nbc-sports-groups-2013-14-premier-league-programming-plans/

Premier League Extra Time is being offered to Cox for FREE and will cost you no additional money to offer to us customers who already subscribe to NBC Sports Network.

Unfortunately this statement doesn't address the retransmission fees NBC is asking of the carriers like us.  They're simply stating that the terms are that carriers not charge extra for access should they already subscribe to NBC Sports Network.

-Chris

• Posted by Wicks
    6 Jun 2013 10:06 AM

Fair enough, just know that this service is very important to many of your customers and if you do not offer it we will be forced to switch to a provider who does.

• Posted by iwstamp
    6 Jun 2013 7:48 PM

I agree. That fact that Cox does not participate in this free service is pathetic... I'm out as well.

• Posted by Domino
    7 Jun 2013 12:20 AM

iwstamp

I agree. That fact that Cox does not participate in this free service is pathetic... I'm out as well.

Bye!

• Posted by tohere
    7 Jun 2013 5:28 PM

I'd like to register my vote for NBC Sports Live Extra on my android device.  It really is an app with great potential for sports enthusiasts, and I'd hope that Cox would push forward with supporting it and making it available.  Cox already supports Watch ESPN, and that's great - but for hockey/soccer fans, the one to use is NBC Sports Live Extra.  PLEASE!!!! 

• Posted by thyname
    8 Jun 2013 9:55 PM

I am really hoping Cox will add this service for us. I am already very unhappy with the situation with beIN Sports channel, as Cox is one of the few major cable provider with no agreement a full year after launch. Come on Cox, I already pay all this money for your tv internet and home phone...

• Posted by Domino
    9 Jun 2013 12:19 AM

thyname

I am really hoping Cox will add this service for us. I am already very unhappy with the situation with beIN Sports channel, as Cox is one of the few major cable provider with no agreement a full year after launch.

BeIN Sport USA launched in mid-August, 2012. That's not really a full year ago, is it?

• Posted by HCAFCinAZ
    6 Jul 2013 9:39 AM

Just want to add my voice to those requesting Cox come to an agreement with NBC Sports regarding Live Extra before the start of the English Premier League season in August. I acknowledge there are costs to Cox involved, but I'd hope they'd be offset by the goodwill generated by happy subscribers, of which I'd be one of many.