Is there something wrong with the Cisco Explorer 8642HDC Firmware

Is there something wrong with the Cisco Explorer 8642HDC Firmware

TV Forum

Activity: 18 Replies | 5 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

I recently had the trusty Scientific Altanta DVR replaced after a Service Call about being unable to view ON Demand movies.

The new Cisco box worked ok for  few days until we tried to view a recorded program. It stuttered and was generally unwatchable on the playback. That started to occur watching live TV too. Was this a bad disk? Another symptom was that viewing the guide shrank the live TV picture as expected, but when exiting from the Guide, the picture remained small in the upper right quadrant. Changing channels didn't reset. A complete reset by unplugging power was the only way to get it back. The continued playback stutter made me visit a store for an exchange.

The second unit seemed OK, but suffered from the same stuuer playback. I left the stuttering program on what I thought might be bad disk, and subsequent recorded shows seemed fine. This morning I noticed the program playing through this box, was about 5 seconds delayed from the same program playing through a non-DVR box, where previously they had been in perfect sync. I clicked the guide, and the same shrunken picture state happened.

I have been searching issues with the Cisco boxes and the stutter is mentioned a lot.

Is the box subject to overheating - it is in a cabinet with glass doors.

Can I get a Scientific Atlanta DVR Cable box. I am seriously considering a move to satellite

All Replies
  • Posted by ChrisL
    16 Feb 2012 11:53 AM

Hi there, I sent you a private message asking for more information.

-Chris

Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by Johnaz
    17 Feb 2012 8:07 PM

I have not received your private message. I would be glad to provide more information. A new problem has now occurred. Recorded programs are not viewable as the DVR suggests that a connected external device (disk?) needs to be connected. I assume it thinks I had a SATA disk attached at some time and that is now disconnected. I do not have such a device.

Please contact me so that I may answer your need for more information.

• Posted by Todd01
    18 Feb 2012 11:07 AM

Mine is doing the same thing. The have replaced my DVR twice. I was told that there is going to be an update to the firmware or something with no estimated time frame of when it was going to come out. It is very frustrating to be paying for this service and not being able to use it completely.

• Posted by Johnaz
    18 Feb 2012 1:35 PM

I spoke with Cox Support and indeed they know about this problem and say a fix will be pushed out to the boxes some time in the future. I was directed to apply a temporary fix:

With box and TV on do the following:

1. Press the 'settings' button on the remote
    2. Choose Adnavced setting
    3. Scroll down to Accessories (last item in list)
    4. select
    5. Select Disk Power
    6. Set to Always On
    7. Set Power off to manual
    8. Save settings and Exit.

The recorded programs still seem to be inaccessible, but we will see if future recording will be available.

I will post updates in a few days.

• Posted by pcolahelp
    18 Feb 2012 1:37 PM

on 8642's the hard drive may try to go into power save mode during playback of a DVR recording. Causing tiling during dvr plackback

To fix the tiling issue:

1. 1.       On the remote for the 8642 DVR, press the Settings button. Then press the A button.
      Result: the Settings menu displays onscreen.
    2. 2.       From the main Settings menu, scroll to and select the Accessories option.
    3. 3.       Scroll to and select the Power Management option.
    4. 4.       Set Hard Drive Power option to ALWAYS ON.
  • Posted by wees41
    22 Feb 2012 1:52 PM

Cisco is Scientific Atlanta

• Posted by Adrenna
    18 Mar 2012 10:21 PM

I am on the sixth cable box in 6 months. The box I just replaced last weekend is now having the same issues as the last 5 boxes. Their solution is to send out a tech. Customer service just stonewalls you and try's to make you think that the issue is with the service. Repeated requests for a refund are ignorned. This is truely annoying.. being charged for a service that you can't use. I am going to call the state tomorrow to see if anything can be done.

• Posted by PJ
    28 Mar 2012 3:36 AM

What is your Channel 1999 - FDC level?  Should be -10 to +10   Mine is -9ish 

• Posted by Alino
    1 Apr 2012 12:27 PM

Hello,

I just picked up the same cable box, and I'm also suffering of the stuttered playing when either rewinding a life tv or watching a recorded program.  It's been extremely enjoying and I wish Cox and stop distributing those cable boxes until a fix is pushing out.  

I tried resetting the box with the phone automatic system, and it fixed the issue for few hours, and it went back to the same thing.

• Posted by Farcklefamily
    6 Jun 2012 11:46 AM

This fixed multiple problems with my Cisco box, especially stuttering live rewind and dvr playback. We had to restart box before watch any recording. Thank you!

• Posted by Farcklefamily
    6 Jun 2012 11:48 AM

Changing to the new Ciscos from the flawless SciAtl boxes definitely a Cox low point. Considering DTV.

• Posted by JJscotts
    17 Jun 2012 3:30 PM

I've had precisely the same problem, but I note something very strange -- that makes me suspicious that Cox techs have any idea what is happening.  Calling them, they want me to have my hookup examined -- those of you with legacy cable know how much trouble this can mean (new wires outside the house, inability to use internal wiring, etc.).  I've noticed that this distortion ONLY occurs when playing back stored portions of memory (for example, if I am watching TV, and push the rewind button so review a portion of the broadcast that just occurred).  In this case, the replay begins to have extreme digital distortion (audio problems and digital blocks, etc).  What seems odd to me, why would replay of stored programs be distorted, if the cause is the "levels" coming in the home?  If the pictures and sound are great during the broadcast, why would replay be distorted?  This is the crux of my question.  Until someone with some logical sense explains this to me, I'm not yet ready to open up my home to the "cable guy", and let him begin poking more holes in the walls of my home.  Just doesn't seem justified at this point.  Let me know what you hear.  I suspect something internal in the box!

• Posted by Dbackfan
    21 Jun 2012 10:31 AM

I had this problem and this did do the trick to fix it. Just want to pass on help! Was very aggravating and messed up quite a few shows. Do this fix before you call.

"To fix the tiling issue:

1. 1.       On the remote for the 8642 DVR, press the Settings button. Then press the A button.
      Result: the Settings menu displays onscreen.
    2. 2.       From the main Settings menu, scroll to and select the Accessories option.
    3. 3.       Scroll to and select the Power Management option.
    4. 4.       Set Hard Drive Power option to ALWAYS ON."
  • Posted by jvhammondsd
    7 Aug 2012 9:58 AM

When I press A nothing happens and I cannot find advances settings anywhere.  hmmmm

• Posted by longtimer
    25 Nov 2012 11:40 PM

I am on at least my 2nd Whole Home Box and am nearly at my wit's end!  Super Angry

My longtime trouble has been with a consistently unconsistent stutter in AUDIO only (have even moved to optical audio line between cable and my Onkyo audio receiver but still have trouble)!  This is the first I saw of stutter problems and hoped my problem was related.

I describe it as a slowly worsening stutter in audio that goes completely quiet after about 3-5 seconds and then corrects several seconds later.  It can happen during live TV, recorded DVD programming, etc.  I can rewind 10 sec back and hear everything just fine?!?!?

I wish I had never raised my hand for whole home as it has been nothing but troubles, with all reboots I have had to do over past 2-3 years.  Long time bundled customer looking for answers.  COX has definitely had its ups and downs in Customer Svc over the years too!