Forums

Introducing Contour, the new personal video experience

TV Forum

Activity: 473 Replies | 39 Subscribers

This question is still unresolved
Posted by

Cox is introducing a new, personal TV experience - Contour. Contour is TV that perfectly fits you, at home and on the go. It includes the new Contour app for iPad with an intuitive interface that serves up content to watch at home or anywhere. On TV you'll experience the Contour guide, that learns the shows you like and recommends new shows you're likely to love. Contour also offers the Record 6 DVR that lets you record up to six shows at one time, and store 1000. Contour is the personalized TV experience you've been waiting for. Learn more at cox.com/contour or stop by a Cox Solutions Store today.

--
Kip K. - Cox Support Forums Moderator

All Replies
  • Posted by Domino
    29 Sep 2013 3:29 PM

OnToCoxCable

Test.

Discover that Contour has nothing to do with ROVI? [Yes, your original long rant went out as email. Want a copy?] 

BTW, use DELETE instead of TEST.

• Posted by Domino
    29 Sep 2013 3:43 PM

OnToCoxCable

As of today, 29 September 2013, in Cox Communications’ OKLAHOMA market,  ALL Cox Communications cable TV customers continue to experience repeated problems with their program guides, with their TV picture displays (black box in middle of HDTV screen, totally obscuring the central portion of the picture, being the most common one), as well as with several other, really annoying, randomly repeating, operational problems - all of which are very clearly related to Cox Communications’ big, national roll-out of its new CONTOUR service. 

Oh, hogwash. I just got done reading an account on AVS from an Oklahoma user who has the WHDVR service with Contour and says that it is working just fine. First you relate Contour to Rovi. Now you claim (EMPHATICLY) that ALL Oklahoma Cox users are having problems. What's next?

• Posted by OnToCoxCable
    29 Sep 2013 4:41 PM

It is apparently Cox's Online Tech Support, which one of Cox's own chat reps referred me to early this a.m. which states that all OK ROVI clients are having known problems since the Contour-compatible software configuration was introduced - but ROVI has nothing whatsoever to do with my current problem or with any previous problems I have directly experienced as a result of Cox Communications using me and many other of its Oklahoma customers as live guinea pigs during any of their "new" product testing periods.  

And who are you and what is your position with Cox Communications?   I don't understand your confusing replies, or how they will serve to help in any meaningful way with my repeated, ongoing, concerns - several very specific instances of which have been very, very, well-documented and verified by Cox Oklahoma's second-tier technical support employees in Oklahoma City, over quite a few years' length of time.   

• Posted by Domino
    30 Sep 2013 12:54 AM

OnToCoxCable

It is apparently Cox's Online Tech Support, which one of Cox's own chat reps referred me to early this a.m. which states that all OK ROVI clients are having known problems since the Contour-compatible software configuration was introduced - but ROVI has nothing whatsoever to do with my current problem or with any previous problems I have directly experienced as a result of Cox Communications using me and many other of its Oklahoma customers as live guinea pigs during any of their "new" product testing periods.  

And who are you and what is your position with Cox Communications?   I don't understand your confusing replies, or how they will serve to help in any meaningful way with my repeated, ongoing, concerns - several very specific instances of which have been very, very, well-documented and verified by Cox Oklahoma's second-tier technical support employees in Oklahoma City, over quite a few years' length of time.   

First of all, one more time: ROVI has nothing to do with Contour. ROVI developed PASSPORT for earlier (SA 8240/8300, some Motorola) DVRs. Contour (or Trio by its original name) was developed by NDS (now part of Cisco) with guidance from Cox. Trio (Contour) was re-badged as Contour, IMO, for the dual purpose of gaining attention and raising revenues. Used as a normal DVR without the iPad app, there is no difference between Trio and Contour.

As for my position with Cox, I do not now nor never have I worked for Cox. I am a retired electrical engineer, and a customer of Cox since back when they were called Dimension Cable. I have user DVRs with SARA, PASSPORT ECHO, and TRIO (Contour) firmware. My gripe with you is that you over-exaggerate. Example is when you claim that ALL Cox Oklahoma customers are seeing problems, when they clearly are not. Maybe you better read:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1286642/cox-cable-whole-home-dvr-cisco/840

• Posted by StephanieA
    30 Sep 2013 2:06 PM

RSeanW

Just to be clear, since I'm in OK and have the Whole Home DVR system, I can stop by a store and pick up a new Contour DVR 6 box and do a self install?

Hi RSeanW,

I apologize for the delayed response. Only in Oklahoma are we offering a self-install option for the 6-tuner DVR. Since you currently have a Contour 2-tuner DVR, you can take it in to the Solution Store and swap it for a 6-tuner. You will need to call 888-556-1193 or go online to www.cox.com/activate to activate the receiver once it is connected. You are not required to have a professional install. Here's a link to local Solution Stores in your are if you need it. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Stephanie A
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

• Posted by KipK
    30 Sep 2013 4:42 PM

OnToCoxCable
    As of today, 29 September 2013, in Cox Communications’ OKLAHOMA market,  ALL Cox Communications cable TV customers continue to experience repeated problems with their program guides, with their TV picture displays

Uh... Nope. No idea where you're getting that from.

OnToCoxCable
    Of course, no Oklahoma Cox customer is ever told the truth about any of these sudden, repeated, random, problems which we who live here and pay Cox very, very, well for our cable TV services are forced to endure, each and every time Cox Communications uses its Oklahoma market customers as its captive, corporate, live guinea pigs

The only captive guinea pigs this company has are its employees. Even the ones who don't volunteer for new hardware testing get new software pushed out weeks to months ahead of customers. You guys are SO not the guinea pigs. Stick out tongue 

OnToCoxCable
    I've personally been forced to endure the almost impossibly aggravating/annoying experience of calling Cox for HDTV/HD-DVR box-related, live technical support every single weekend morning for the past three consecutive weekends, as well as on two, separate, weekday evenings, because of totally missing program guides, partially missing or jumbled program data being randomly displayed incorrectly within the six-day program guide,  with HDTV picture problems lasting for hours, and with maddeningly slow, slow, HD/DVR response times, off and on, for at least the last three weeks.

That would not be anything to do with something we're testing or something that's inherently buggy, that would be either bad equipment (memory or hard drive) or a bad out-of-band signal to your equipment. 

OnToCoxCable
    It is apparently Cox's Online Tech Support, which one of Cox's own chat reps referred me to early this a.m. which states that all OK ROVI clients are having known problems since the Contour-compatible software configuration was introduced

Hmm. That doesn't really compute. Contour is Contour and Rovi is Rovi and never the twain shall meet. Seriously, Contour receivers get most of their guide data, provisioning, etc. through the system for cable modem and digital phone connectivity, and Rovi boxes aren't going to notice if the whole system goes down, comes back up, or dances a tango.

OnToCoxCable
    I fully expect this advisory/warning post about Cox’s new CONTOUR service, intended to inform and to assist all other Cox Communications customers or potential customers of CONTOUR, to be deleted immediately by the Cox moderator.

Again, nope. But we are going to ask you to email us at coxhelp@cox.com with your account info so we can straighten out the problems you're having with your equipment, and make sure anyone you've talked to previously isn't spreading misinformation.

--
    Kip K. - Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by Big d
    4 Oct 2013 6:05 PM

How do u record series with new contour

• Posted by ChrisL
    5 Oct 2013 7:04 AM
    You should just be able to find the show using the search feature and when selecting the option to record you'll be asked other options such as whether to record the entire series and which channels and times if on multiple networks.

-Chris

Cox Support Forums Moderator

• Posted by 7sudden
    8 Oct 2013 10:59 AM

Several weeks into Contour for me (I signed up right at initial release) and it's been a frustrating experience. The concept is solid, but performance is very poor. Here are some details:

iPad app -  It's graphically wonderful and easy to navigate. Kudos here. Unfortunately it lacks features, like recording entire seasons, playback of recorded shows, and the ability to turn off the background video (or audio at least). Unless you watch shows on the iPad itself, it's basically used as a glorified remote with annoying audio when you're trying to watch your television (So I now turn sound off on the iPad). Also, I've found that it's quite buggy, and freezes/hangs/crashes often. As of now, I'm restarting the app daily, and I have to wait for the guide to cache the listings before scrolling -just to be able to use it.

Cisco box - Its certainly smaller than the Scientific Atlanta it replaced. The remote is dated but works. Pausing live video is a joke.  More often than not, it doesn't work...  giving an error message instead. When it does work, pressing pause has a long delay before finally stopping. Try that on your favorite football game. Playback is good, but there's no feature on the remote to skip forward 30sec, like most other DVR systems can do. It's great for skipping commercials. When watching recorded programs, the system REGULARLY crashes, and says to try again in a few minutes or call support. Waiting on hold for 45+ minutes gets infuriating.

It retrospect, I'm very unimpressed with Contour, and wish I hadn't been talked into paying Cox for the privilege of beta testing their new service.

• Posted by bobdylan_8
    10 Oct 2013 6:21 PM

Is there a way to watch cox TV on your computer or android phone? I have my computer hooked up to my TV and would like to watch TV on my other smaller monitor while using my computer on the larger television. Or being able to watch cox cable on my galaxy s3 would be wonderful. I have the app for cox on my phone, but it does not allow you to do much other than record one show. That is a nice feature if you forget to set up a recording, but it would be nice to expand the watching TV to other devices outside of the iPAD.

• Posted by ColleenD
    10 Oct 2013 8:22 PM

bobdylan_8, you can watch Cox TV on your pc by installing the TV Connect software to do so. The TV Connect for Android app is also available for select devices. At this time we are working on the Android version of the Contour App but there isn't a release date yet. We'll be sure to make an announcement when there is. You can find the downloadable pc app  as well as other app information here.

ColleenD

• Posted by coleRX
    14 Oct 2013 6:30 PM

7sudden,

Thanks for the honest assessment.  I've been lurking on this board for a couple of months trying to determine if making the jump to Contour is worth it.  From the number of unhappy/unsatisfied customers, probably not at this point.

When Cox first rolled out Whole Home DVR, I jumped on it.  I had the same frustrating experience that many are having now with Contour.  Basically buggy, unreliable and not ready for the market.  I gladly went back to the legacy DVR boxes as limited as they are.  It seems Contour can't even execute standard capabilities such as pause/rewind live TV.

At this point, I am paying a premium for three HD DVRs in my home.  I refuse to "upgrade" to Contour due to all of the issues seen here.  I am seriously considering other providers as soon as my contract is up in January.

Cole

• Posted by ChrisL
    15 Oct 2013 6:27 AM

I'm not sure how long ago it was you tried the whole home setup but updates have been since released allowing client boxes to pause live TV using a tuner from the host box.

-Chris

• Posted by coleRX
    15 Oct 2013 10:24 PM

ChrisL,

Thanks for the response!  I was looking to upgrade to Contour, especially for the six-tuner capability.  But reviewing this message board and the issues customers are having have made me think twice, especially after my experience with Whole Home DVR.  I'm sure Contour will get better with time but not willing to deal with technical issues that would just frustrate me.  Maybe you can shed some light on whether the following issues have been fixed already:

1)  1-minute recording issue.  DVR says program is recorded but then only 1-minute is actually recorded

2)  Cannot rewind TV on the fly.  Have to pause the program before being able to rewind it.

These two issues have been reported on the board and I haven't seen any report that they have been fixed.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cole

• Posted by ChrisL
    16 Oct 2013 6:53 AM
    I believe the software update for the 1 minute recording issue has already been deployed.  I'm not sure about #2 yet though, I believe the issue has something do to with the host box needing the pause signal to tell it to capture a tuner to manipulate live TV.

-Chris