Forum Discussion

wiiwillie
New Contributor
11 years ago

Distinctive ring not working with Fax

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium All-in-one and Cox distinctive ring with a second phone number. The Fax does not reliably recognize the distinctive ring. The fax seems to randomly answer calls on my primary line. I have tried various settings on the HP (double, triple ring, etc) without success. Cox Tech Support could not tell me what the distinctive ring was (double, triple, long-short, etc). I as well as others in the household are not able to discern the distinctive ring from the ring on our regular line. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KipK
    Valued Contributor II

I'm sorry that we couldn't tell you what the ring cadence should be. I know faxes are kind of a 90s thing, but dangit, if I remember my training on it, everyone should.

Distinctive Ring actually has three options, and defaults to "R1" which is two long rings. You can also request that we change it to R2: 2 short, 1 long or to R3: 1 short, 1 long, 1 short, but if you don't request any change then we'll normally leave it at R1.

Based on the description in the HP manual, R1 should be called "double rings." Phones with their own built-in ringtones like cordless phones and fax machines may override the tone, but if you plugged an old-style corded phone into the line and called your distinctive ring number, you should be able to discern the pattern. If not, it's possible that it wasn't provisioned properly and we may need to put a ticket in.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.