Forum Discussion

OldMainframeGuy
New Contributor III
6 years ago
Solved

NOMOROBO 100% ineffective so far

I've had NOMOROBO for a few weeks now and it hasn't blocked a single call.   I report the numbers to NOMOROBO; some of them are repeat offenders, but it doesn't seem to help.   I'm grateful that Cox provides this service but so far it hasn't done anything to block robocallers.   Just venting.

• Nomorobo works sporadically ony phone.  I suspect that the simultaneous ring is the culprit since it works sporadically when I set it to ring my cellphone. 

19 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    raysaun
    New Contributor II

Nomorobo works sporadically ony phone.  I suspect that the simultaneous ring is the culprit since it works sporadically when I set it to ring my cellphone. 

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Raysaun,

Do you have the same experience when the simultaneous is just set to ring your landline?

Cox Moderator
        raysaun
        New Contributor II

I don't understand your question.  It always rings my land line. However simultaneous ring sporadic when it to set to ring my cell. Nomorobo appears also to be sporadic when I set simultaneous ring on it.  I suspect this because calls that are on  the Nomorobo list are sporadically  eine blocked. I know this because I look them up on Google and get a link to nomorobo.

JP_Sports
      Contributor

The truth is it’s only about 50% effective.  It doesn’t stop those annoying “neighborhood” spoofed calls that copy the first 6 digits of your number.  I get 2-3 a day and they are ANNOYING af.  I would say almost 90% of the non-blocked spam calls I get now follow this format.  Will Nomorobo be adding this feature? YouMail just added it and it has stopped those types of calls dead in their tracks since I ran the last update on my cell.

Fox
    New Contributor

I agree. Many repeat calls that have been reported. Have no idea if or when Nomorobo actually reads or takes action. 

KevinM2
    Former Moderator

Hi OldMainFrameGuy, we regret learning of such an unfortunate experience, and we'd like to have this investigated further. When you log in to http://nomorobo.com, and click on "Your Phones," does your home phone number show up and state "Protected?" 

The Nomorobo service has successfully blocked over 900,000,000 calls. If your phone number reads "Not Protected," this indicates the service is not active currently. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

OldMainframeGuy
      New Contributor III

Kevin:  Yes, it shows up as protected and I've run the test a few times with positive results.   If I understand how this is supposed to work, when Nomorobo is blocking a call, my phone will ring exactly two times.  That never happens.   Sometimes it rings 4 times and the caller hangs up; other times, it rings enough times for the caller to leave a robocall message on my answering device.   The four-ring scenario has been going on for months; presumably robocallers who figure I'm not going to answer the phone.

BrianM
        If it was a robocall that was being blocked by nomorobo it would typically ring 1 time and then stop. It sounds like these numbers may not have been identified/added to the nomorobo database yet if they are ringing that many times.

Brian
        Cox Support Forum Moderator
    sattamander
    New Contributor

Same problem here.  I even checked the NOMOROBO data base and found numbers on their hit list that were still coming thru weeks after they had been marked.  and I have twice verified with NOMOROBO that the service is active on my Cox landline

ps- have yet to hear the phone ring only once

KevinM2
      Former Moderator

Hi Sattamander, here is some additional information about how the nomorobo system works, https://bit.ly/2KhHvrg. Are you able to access your profile on nomorobo.com, and see if it's activated on the website? The simultaneous ring can be active in your Cox profile, however, if it is not activated through the actual website itself, the service will not function. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If Nomo actually worked, Congress wouldn't have needed to push the Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act.  It's been 5 years and 6 months with the useless Nomo.  Enough already.

• What would work would be a system that prompted the caller to enter a code in order to get through.  Getting absolutely hammered with a surge of robocalls pushing PPO health insurance- same recording- five calls thus far with different CiD information.  

cpete
    New Contributor

NOMOrobo shows my home phone voip is not activated.   My cell phone is. Tried to activate on COX but said no third party authentication possible with my home phone.  How do I activate NOMOROBO for my home phone?

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Is Is Simultaneous Ring listed under Settings?
      Cox.com > My Phone > Phone Settings > Voice Tools > Settings

RHoL495
        New Contributor III

Unable to access the mentioned URL reads " Access Forbidden "

I am logged in to my account ?