Forum Discussion

trstalgait
New Contributor
6 years ago

Calls listing my number as the caller ID (ie. me calling me)

I have been plagued the last month or so, I have been receiving numerous calls listing me as the caller ID calling myself. I have reported this to COX during a live chat and a ticket (whatever that means) is supposedly opened. I then was asked to report all subsequent instances. I tried using live chat but it is ridiculously hard and time consuming to do so. They send a link so you can fill out a form, but the link doesn't always open. COX should have a nice email form where you could address issues sent in, or just ignore them as usual. Unfortunately I am in sort of a cellular dead zone so I need a land line so I am stuck with COX for now. 

Has anyone else received these calls with your number Spoofed? Have you had luck contacting COX? I am fed up!!!!!!

7 Replies

Pam613
    Contributor II

Yes, I've had these calls with my own # also, but I don't even bother letting Cox know since it's too time consuming & they don't usually solve your problem.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

All the time...as well as unknown numbers from my local exchange.  It's called spoofing.  Scammers probably spoof the same number they're calling because they know it's a legit number.  Being a legit number, Nomo won't block it.

• Hi Trstalgait,

Thank you for reaching out to us through Cox Forums. Current technology makes it easy for scammers to fake or "spoof" caller ID information. Scammers purchase lists of telephone numbers and use spoofing technology to trick potential victims into picking up the telephone. Under the current rules, telemarketers are required to display accurate caller ID information, but when a call is spoofed, the caller ID shows digits that are often someone else's information and in your case, your phone number. Customers that report this issue should keep a log of the date, time, name, and number displayed of the spoofed calls received. Availability for research is limited to the past 30 days.

Please email our team at cox.help@cox.com. Be sure to include this post, your full name, and complete address. We can check on the status of your ticket.

Maria L.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Cox is responsible to provide us the name of the caller...not the telemarketer.

When we receive a call, we pay Cox to query a CNAM database (Calling NAMe) to determine the name registered to the calling phone number.  Unfortunately, to save factional pennies per call, Cox only provides the City/State of the exchange, "Unavailable" or, if it's a Cox-assigned number, our name.

I understand CNAM is not centralized or even standardized, but Cox could apply some simple logic to fake numbers, war-dialing connections and me-calling-me calls.

ron_I
    New Contributor

I see robo calls to my ATT cell phone and my century link copper line that show 702-363-xxxx which is my prefix.  The a-holes are spoofing  numbers to get us to answer the calls.  I dunno how cox can stop that.  I think sometimes (not certain now) that the calls even have a name on the caller ID.  I had a woman call me a few days ago--woke me up - to ask why I called her 363 ph number.    Seems like a lot the calls are selling back braces.

JP_Sports
      Contributor

I get a ton of those calls that spoof the first 6 digits to make it look like a local caller.  It’s not just a Cox problem; I get them on my cell all the time.  I must have about 500 numbers blocked with the same area code and exchange.  As for that medical brace scam, I’ve received about 10 calls from a few different numbers even here in CT.

UPDATE: Good news: HHS has busted the scammers. 

www.msn.com/.../ar-BBVLGz3

Pam613
      Contributor II

I'm getting numerous calls every day lately for braces through Medicare. It's so annoying that if I don't recognize a # I don't even bother answering anymore