Forum Discussion

John_SD
New Contributor III
6 years ago

Does Nomorobo really ring your phone once to alert you to what should have been a blocked call?

I am hoping that I am wrong about the single-ring "alert." I sometimes get 10 or 15 junk calls per day, and having each and every one ring my phone a single time would be a continued annoyance. If it's true, then I see no point in implementing Nomorobo and will continue to seek out a call-blocking service or method that really works.

9 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi John_SD, Nomorobo disconnects "robocaller" and telemarketer calls made to your home phone number. After activating the Nomorobo number and selecting it as a Simultaneous Ring number, Nomorobo screens the call to make sure it is valid. You can continue to use your phone as normal after the service is enabled. If a robocall is blocked, then your phone rings once. Callers hear a pre-recorded message advising them that Nomorobo has blocked the call before they are disconnected. If a call is valid, then Nomorobo does not intercept it. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      John_SD
      New Contributor III

"If a robocall is blocked, then your phone rings once."

Thank you for the info, KevinM2. That's a deal breaker, free though the software may be. 

Monster2018
      New Contributor II

yeah i am having the same problem . I get calls all hours from either telemarketers or scammers. Why would we want our cell phone to ring even if it is only once. I'll get 7-10 calls a day sometimes. That is just as aggravating as the calls them selves? Why does norobo work ONLY if you provide another phone number like a cell? Flawed system. Yes the numbers should be blocked but we shouldn't have to have a different phone ring!

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @ Monster2018

With Nomorobo enabled on a landline your phone will always ring once. There's no way to eliminate the first ring. The server needs that time to screen the call and determine if it should intercept the call or not.

Cox Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You'd have to get a standalone call-blocker with first-ring suppression.  I haven't been shopping for blockers in a while so can't readily recommend one.

John_SD
      New Contributor III

As I was fed up with the daily onslaught of robo and junk calls, as well as providers' inability to stop them, and because we needed new phones anyway, I purchased the AT&T CL82407 DECT 6.0 system of 4 phones and base for $79.99. The system has a Smart Call Blocker built in that requires anyone NOT in your directory or whitelist to press '1' once to get thru. You can then whitelist them. So far it has stopped the phone beggars dead in their tracks. Not a single robocall thus far. And NO one-time ring at all. Problem solved. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

That's a nice feature.  If you have legit robocalls...dentist or doctor reminders for appointments, whitelist them as well.