Forum Discussion

stinkfoot63
Contributor II
6 years ago

At wits end with unwanted calls

I would like for Cox to help actually end unwanted telemarketing and scam calls- from spoofed numbers.  Over the past three days my phone has been rung eleven times- each spoofed numbers.... I just got a robocall that opened with "this is not a solicitation...", telling me how my credit card activity had been monitored for the past six months and I'm now qualified to receive a discount.

... spoofed number-meaning they know their call isn't wanted- it's in violation of the law, these are criminals.  Their action to ring my phone without implicit authorization is a violation of the law.  This repeated criminal harassment has rendered my phone useless... apart from being a harassment tool for parties not being billed for the service. and some have altered their strategy to account for simultaneous ring... placing two calls in quick succession with the second getting through.

In the last day I've received three from "Affordable Heathcare"... the CiD number is not in service... two calls from one number and one from a number that is one digit off from the other.

This is criminal harassment.

11 Replies

stinkfoot63
      Contributor II

I'm curious about why you think updating my information on the DNC registry will affect the behavior of criminals who are spoofing numbers to cover their tracks.  Isn't the DNC registry a reference for legitimate telemarketers to use?  Whether or not I register or update my information there isn't going to have an effect on the behavior of boiler room outfits in Pakistan and India that employ all manner of trickery to get their victims to answer the intrusions.

I do appreciate your concern though and thank you for responding.

• I’ve had that multiple dial attempts a split second apart issue for months despite having Nomorobo.  The new issue is the absolutely criminal amount of calls that have a “V” code at the bottom to circumvent Nomorobo.  I feel like Nomorobo only works 50% of the time.  I’m even getting Spam calls at 7:00 on Saturday night and 8:30 on Sunday.  Just ready to rip my phone out of the wall and call it a day.  I wouldn’t have it if it weren’t necessary for a package discount with internet service.

stinkfoot63
      Contributor II

I believe the strategy of placing nearly simultaneous calls is meant to defeat nomorobo.... the first call occupies the screening number so that the second gets through.  It's an indication that they know that their call is not wanted and makes it a willful criminal act.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi JP Sports, while the new platform Cox Voice supports the Nomorobo service, have you gone onto the website to register your phone number?

https://www.nomorobo.com/

-Kevin
        JP_Sports
        Contributor

I did so months ago, and this is 6 1/2 months later and it’s 50% effective.

Pam613
    Contributor II

I get calls from Microsoft, IRS, & Rachael from card services just to name a few. Do not call registry is a joke & Cox only lets you block a limited amt of #s. There should be a way to just program #s you accept calls from.

JP_Sports
      Contributor

Received 5 unwanted calls today.  Nomorobo blocked a whopping 2 of them.  4 were from local numbers, of which 2 were from a number with the first 6 digits of mine.  I’m so done with this.  All 3 scammers/spoofers did not leave a message.  And yes, the NDNCR is a joke.  Landline and 2 cells on there and it does nothing.  At least I found an app for my 2 cells that has reduced them quite a bit and plays an out of service message to known spammers

• My phone has been rung 12 times in the last day alone- mostly spoofs, once by "async' (number spoofed); 3 times by "Affordable healthcare" (2 diff. numbers also spoofed); Ft. Worth Tx, Plainville CT, Wolcott. Ct; all spoofs; "AKULA MALLIKHAR"... a credit card scam from another local spoof, and the rest from a V-dialer; spoofed local number.

FWIW, simultaneous ring was successful in limiting the ring to one before dispensing with most of these (I want zero rings).  Someone is determined to get through and I would like it stopped.  At present someone (V-dialer presumably- spoofing MY NUMBER!) is trying to get through every 10 or 20 minutes... it rings once.

This is criminal harassment.