Forum Discussion

MickeyCT
New Contributor
6 years ago

New Cox service and phone jacks not working

My Cox service was just installed a couple weeks ago.  I previously had ATT Uverse which then went to Frontier.  I just realized that none of the phone jacks in my house are working except the one in the kitchen.  Why would that be?  In the kitchen I have a base set with an extension in my family room that doesn't need a jack.  That has worked fine since the service was installed.  I have a wired connection in my bedroom that doesn't work and I tried moving the phone from my kitchen to another phone jack, and that one is not working either.  Looks like only the one jack in the kitchen is working.  Do I need to get the technician back here or is this something I can fix myself?

Mickey

10 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Where is your telephone modem (eMTA)?  At the most, the technician should have installed an eMTA, an Internet modem and a router.  The eMTA should be connected to a telephone jack to activate (dial tone) all other jacks in your household.

MickeyCT
    New Contributor

I don't know what an eMTA is.  As far as I know all I have is the internet modem/router (Panoramic WiFi) and there was a phone cord going from that to a jack near the computer (not the one in the kitchen) and then the kitchen phone worked as well as it's extensions.

I do still have an ATT backup battery in the basement that was plugged in but didn't appear to be hookekd up to anything any more.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I understand Panoramic WiFi are all-in-one devices (telephone, Internet, router).  That's good and also good it's connected to a phone jack.

You could try recycling power for a few minutes to allow it to reboot.  If that doesn't work, Cox could try to reprovision the telephone modem.

The ATT backup battery is still plugged into what...an AC outlet?  That shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not connected to a phone jack.

MickeyCT
        New Contributor

Yes, the ATT backup battery is plugged in to an AC outlet.  I'm unplugging it because it won't do anything anymore.

Recycling hasn't worked either.  It doesn't look like the other jacks are hooked up to anything.  Looks like the kitchen jack is hooked up to the jack the modem is plugged in to but the other jacks are not.