Forum Discussion

Cocoapuff
New Contributor
6 years ago

No phone service for 12 days!

I have not had Cox phone service since July 27 -- no dial tone or calls for 12 days now and counting. Two technicians visited my home on July 30 and were very thorough in attempting to solve the problem. They ran various diagnostic tests and gave me a new modem but could not reestablish the dial tone. (They were more than kind and diligent and I have nothing but praise for them.) They determined my problem would have to be fixed in their Atlanta office since my phone line had apparently not successfully made the conversion to the new phone system/equipment the Cox home office recently installed. They told me to expect the problem to be fixed in 24-48 hours.

When I still had no phone service on Wednesday, August 1, I phoned (thank God for my cellphone!) Cox Support and spoke with someone in "Level 2 Support," who promised to expedite the repair of my service in the next 24-72 hours. He also said he would call my cell that Saturday to be sure my problem had been solved. That call never came. When I STILL had no phone service on August 4, I once again called Cox Support and spoke with a service representative in my local Chesapeake office who said he would do his best to expedite the fix and I could expect service to be restored within a few days by the Atlanta office.

Well, here we are on August 8, and I still have no phone. The Cox reps I spoke with on the phone have all been very courteous and seemed to want to help, but all I have are apologies and unfulfilled promises. It's ridiculous that a company the size of Cox cannot restore my phone service after 12 days. If the folks in Atlanta are this incompetent, inefficient or both, I feel very bad for them. If the problem is that my business (I've been with Cox Cable for cable TV, then internet, then phone since the mid-1980s) is not important enough for Cox to be concerned with it, please tell me now so I can find another carrier for my landline. Is the phone likely to be fixed before I die??

2 Replies

• Hi Cocoapuff, it appears that a field tech installed a new digital phone modem this afternoon. Do you have a dial tone now? Are you able to make and receive calls? Please know that we truly value your many years as a Cox customer, and hope that our relationship continues for many more years to come. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Cocoapuff
      New Contributor

Thanks for checking on us, Becky.  Yes, I’m happy to say that we have a working phone for the first time in 2 weeks – and I’m thrilled!  I’d almost forgotten what a ringing phone sounds like… 

The gentleman who came to the house this afternoon was terrific and couldn’t have been nicer.  He diagnosed and fixed the problem much faster than I would have expected, and I’m completely satisfied. 

Thank you so much for facilitating the repair.  You were a great help.