Forum Discussion

Michael2062
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Call Recipients Receiving Multiple Calls from ME After We Connect

My Cox network was just recently upgraded and I have the new modems working with a Panasonic phone system with 3 incoming lines and approximately 12 stations throughout the house. I have no other symptoms or problems. The alarm system tested fine after and it camps onto line 1 of 3 lines.

We have gotten feedback from people we would call with cell phones who reside in the US. Two so far. 

During a call and within 1-2 minutes after connecting, the person we're speaking to receives another call from our same number and caller ID. Being its on a cell they get invited to HOLD, IGNORE, or JOIN the new call. After asking us why we're calling them again, they reject the call and within another minute another call comes in.

It's as if we have an ECHO of some kind that redials the same person.

I have tried this with my own cell phone at home and could not duplicate it.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

8 Replies

8bolt
    New Contributor II

Hi Michael,

Do all 3 of your CO lines allow outward calls?  You might be able to test if the Panasonic, for whatever reason doesn't think the first call succeeded, and after some sort of timing interval chose to try calling out on another line.  This assumes that the Panasonic 'rolls' that way.  If it's possible, perhaps you could test with one of your sympathetic callees ,after temporairly disconnecting two of the co lines?  This is a stumper, and I cannot think of any NETWORK based reason for a second call to sent to the callee.  On the other hand, I suppose anything's possible on the Network side, but I'm at a loss to think of any valid reason.  The only other clue to help isolate the cause is if your co lines identify by unique numbers, and the callees see two different numbers when called, suggesting that he Panasonic is seizing the second line and re-calling.  If the SAME number appears, and you don't have them Optioned to identify by the same number, then I'd suspect the network.  Good hunting!!

Michael2062
      New Contributor II

Yes - all three lines allow outwards calls - they're normal lines that show up on all stations. But so far only one line, the first one, has shown this problem.

When this happens we don't see any evidence of a new call initiated on another line and besides, the first line is the only one with a caller ID like the one showing up at the receiving party. Their cell phone shows the same caller ID (it's coded for my wife's name) so the called party who is on the cell phone engaged in a call with my wife, see my wife's caller ID as calling them again.

I've never seen the Panasonic initiate it's own calls and I don't believe a switch can initiate a new call on the same line that's being used.

So I'm less motivated to disconnect two COs and remember I can't duplicate the problem locally anyway so I have no effective way of testing this yet. I can't really engage my wife's business clients in testing our network.

Thus I've said elsewhere i really need to get more data and try to find a way to test and duplicate this problem.

• Hi Michael2062, have you had a tech out to troubleshoot this issue since the network upgrade? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Michael2062
      New Contributor II

Becky - No. I feel like I need to do more troubleshooting to get more data on this before I try to present the problem. I have not been able to duplicate the problem onsite - to my own cell phone - and I can't answer questions like does it happen on all three lines? does it happen only on calls to specific areas or numbers? does it happen on international calls?

I know that if I ask a tech to come out with the current problem description he's not going to know where to look. There is no indication that signal strength is an issue - all other call operations seem normal. The problem can't be duplicated locally so what do I show the tech to guide his investigation when I can't duplicate the problem? 

Can I even duplicate this to the same numbers again? The calls were business calls made by my wife and I'm waiting because she routinely speaks to these folks every day.

Michael2062
    New Contributor II

I'm pursuing the theory that this is a behavior not inside my Panasonic switch or even in my home network but I can't completely eliminate that. I'm pursuing the theory that this is a kind of "echo" that is theoretically possible in a packet-switched network like an internet although eliminated by network HW and SW. It's the theory that packets travel outward on multiple linkages across the internet seeking the same destination but normally get killed once a connection if found. Like VOIP, you're transmitting in packets where multiple duplicates of the packet can exist at the same time for a limited time. I believe what has happened is we've switched from circuit switching to packet switching right?

An alternative theory would be that the "echo" is being generated inside my local network but I don't like that as much because (1) I cannot duplicate this on calling my call phone from my Panasonic lines and (2) it happens as much as 1-2 minutes after the call is placed and while the call is still in progress.

Michael2062
    New Contributor II

ALSO - we should note that so far there doesn't seem to be anyone else having this issue. That information would probably be the most influential in my troubleshooting. If in fact nobody is having this issue that is on the new modems or has a house switch like a Panasonic, then the fact that I'm the only one would tell me this is something specific to my setup.

Michael2062
      New Contributor II

If anyone wants to help me search for anything else that looks like this - I've been searching with every key word I can think of and nothing pops up.