Forum Discussion

Frank_1937
New Contributor
6 years ago

New phone modem doesn't work.

Last week, we bought a new phone modem - Arris TM 3402A. This week I tried to connect a phone to it. No anything. No dial tone. No light on the front of the modem. The phone I used to connect to the modem works when connected to a land line jack.

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Frank, we are happy to assist. Please reach out to us through Facebook private message, or Twitter DM, or if you prefer email us at cox.help@cox.com. The modem may need to be provisioned on our network for it to work. Mike J. Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What's the light on its front supposed to indicate...power?  It sounds broken to me.  Besides, why are you buying a telephone modem?  According to FCC rules, service providers are required to freely issue all equipment to receive telephone service.  Meaning, Cox gives you a modem.

Frank_1937
      New Contributor

The light on the front is in the shape of a telephone.  It is not lit.

You're right it was a free modem, if you don't count the cost of gas and the time to return the old modem to Cox, and the time spent trying to get it to work as a modem, and the time now being spent trying to get the phone part to work.  Absolutely free!!

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Great...besides time, energy and gas...you didn't pay cash for the modem.  I'm sure the modem works but Cox is just fumbling its activation.

I've got a new Cox modem setting on my shelf.  I'm just waiting for old modem to finally become obsolete before installing it.

This telephone "upgrade" has been weird.  Cox constantly sent urgent letters to upgrade last summer, but I never did.  The final letter said I'd die due to no 911 service, but I never did.  It's been six months since the final warning and my phone service still works.  I still call people and still get lots of nuisance calls.  What is this "upgrade" about?

meddoc1724
    New Contributor

I have the same problem, only later to find out that you need a battery for it to work

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

My Correction #3

My bad.  The batteries are expensive...$30!

On page 5 of the PDF version for my statement dated Apr 14, 2018-May 13, 2018:

"...you may order backup batteries from Cox by call (855) 324-7700 or visiting a Cox Solution Store.  The cost for an 8-hour battery from Cox currently is $29.99, but subject to change."

"The Cox battery is warranted for one year."

"The battery offered by Cox is designed to fit directly into your specific telephone modem and may not be available at retail stores."

Also on the PDF, Cox repeatedly warns me to purchase "additional" batteries...at $29.99 mind you...as "reserve backup batteries."