Forum Discussion

Baywatcher
New Contributor
6 years ago

Robo calls out of control

Hi, robo call frequency on Cox phone has greatly increased recently. I get 10-20 calls a day. Please make the necessary changes to enable "nomorobo" as soon as possible.

12 Replies

• It's likely an industry-wide problem.  Comcast is at the top of the donors list with Cox at #2.  That's just for Virginia though- but I think it's a very good bet that the problem isn't just a local one.

We can harp on Cox ad nauseum but a major part of the problem belongs with our government "representation" who take the big bucks from providers like Cox and Comcast to enact policies that do not represent our best interest- and to keep in place a monopolistic business environment that shields these providers from competition which would potentially be a catalyst for better options, attentive customer service, and some control over pricing.

nichollsvi said:

https://www.vpap.org/committees/147560/va-cable-telecom-assn/ is the problem we have. If our politicans didn't take Coxs' money (which is basically money we pay them), we would not have this problem.

I'm asking why Cox, who for YEARS has been unable to put in protections, won't let those of us who have already made our exit plans, to release us early. Its all about the money. As soon as my phone is up, I'm moving on. No more.

Karen_R
    Former Moderator

Hello Baywatcher,

Thank you for contacting Cox Social Media. Simultaneous ring feature will be coming in 2018. The feature will allow you to filter out spam calls by using an external centralized database that keeps most current information on spam callers. When the feature becomes available you will receive notification on your statement under News and Views. Thanks

8bolt
      New Contributor II

Hi Karen,  I agree with others that this is an industry problem, and the industry - not just cox- has failed to help address it.  Why not implement "white listing"- That is, allow me to build a list of acceptable numbers  that I agree to accept without further inbound screening.  Part of the reason we live with this scourge is the telcos who terminate VOIP( where the scammers generate their calls from) to DDD calls get paid for every call regardless whether it is terminated or not.  This takes away the incentive to force presenters of calls to the DDD users that each and every call is valid and proveable back to a legitimate Billing Tel #, regardless of whatever BS the caller wants to put in the callee's Caller ID device.  You give me that and watch how fast these scumbags dissapear from the game;  They don't provide you with valid call data, they don't get to complete and you don't incur as much cost  | engineering overhead attempting to complete bogus calls, against the loss of completion revenue.  This validation is trivially easy to implement via the AIN/CCS network already in place, and used for caller-ID.  The other idea is to offer a DMZ like call treatment that gives a caller, not otherwise tainted "the benefit of the doubt".  Prove you are a legit caller to me, and get sent to voice-mail, or allowed through - at MY discretion.  

No mo robo is a cool valid solution, but does not satisfy all the issues, nor is it able to support traditional DDD users who's providers cannot implement simultaneous ring capability.

nichollsvi
    New Contributor III

Is this the problem? https://www.vpap.org/committees/147560/va-cable-telecom-assn/

nichollsvi
    New Contributor III

https://www.vpap.org/committees/147560/va-cable-telecom-assn/ is the problem we have. If our politicans didn't take Coxs' money (which is basically money we pay them), we would not have this problem.

I'm asking why Cox, who for YEARS has been unable to put in protections, won't let those of us who have already made our exit plans, to release us early. Its all about the money. As soon as my phone is up, I'm moving on. No more.

Lily2
    Contributor

Robo calls are horrific.  I have had 13 today...all from the same caller.  

KenKK
    Contributor

Boy can I second that.  Every day I have to go through my voice mail and delete them.  Its a real pain.

I don't answer the phone anymore unless I recognize the caller id.  My cell phone has a free call blocker.

This is getting out of control.  The Do Not Call List on line is useless.  I get more calls now than ever.

I hope COX can come up with some free technology to control it.

Becky
      Hi KenKK, Cox is currently in the process of upgrading all Cox Digital Telephone customers to a new voice platform. The new Cox Voice platform will provide Simultaneous Ring and allow customers to sign up for Nomorobo to block robocalls. Please watch the “News from Cox" section of your monthly statement for further details. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        KenKK
        Contributor

I just received a phone call yesterday from COX telling me my area is due for this upgrade this coming July.   I assume this is a no charge fix by COX?

Ken