Forum Discussion

dward5665
Contributor
7 years ago

Another example of why we need NOMOROBO

I had a curious thing happen yesterday and today.  I got a call from 623-594-56XX, once yesterday morning and twice this morning, neither showed up on call history, but it seems to be a hit-and-miss historically.  However when I tried to use the *60 to block it, I could not.  So I called the number and a nice lady answered, and after we got done asking each other "who are you?", I explained that her number had called me a couple of times.  She said they never use that number, so I explained to her that evidently she is a victim of the robocall "pendejos" and might want to complain to Cox, since I suspect hers is a Cox number.  Then looking at my call history my call to her showed up with username and number.  Definitely robocall scammers manipulating the information elements of their calls.

I blocked the number on my home phone, so if they call again it will show on the phone, but I suspect not on call history.  Cox, you guys need to step up to the plate and address these robocall issues, quit the excuses.  You obviously have the capability, since you offer it to your business customers.  

WHEN WILL COX IMPLEMENT ACCESS TO NOMOROBO?????

9 Replies

• dhw1949,

Nomorobo is a cloud based solution that filters out unwanted automated calls, also known as robocalls. Nomorobo uses a "Simultaneous Ring" feature, which filters the calls to determine whether or not the call is an unwanted robocall or legitimate robocall, for example, school closings, doctor appointments, or weather advisories. If it is determined to be an unwanted robocall, then the computer answers the calls and hangs up, usually before the second ring.

Cox does not currently offer Simultaneous Ring which is required for Nomorobo to function. Cox customers have several other options available to help block unwanted calls.

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/using-selective-call-features.html

• Did you really read what I posted before your plastic reply?

yak
    Contributor III

dhw, one of the moderators said that "simultaneous ring" would be available on home phones later (not specified) in 2018.   the moderator who posted the earlier answer to your question is offering you the "Selective Call Rejection" feature which Cox sells.  it lets you block 30 numbers for apx $ 5 a month. I bought it since there was no other option.  I filled it up in 2-3 days.  then paid $80 for a home phone that blocks 300 numbers.  it took a while to fill that up.  I finally kept a handwritten list of spam calls and only blocked them if they called a 2nd time.  the phone number you mention in your post is a vicious spammer; they will call 5 times a day.  one day I stayed on the phone with them (you can read their story at the website 800notes. com which lets people share what they learn about the scams and spams) and then asked them to hold for a second .... but I hung up.  I got a call back from a 714 area code from the same person who was worried that a live sucker (me) had been disconnected.  she was selling remodeling services but their same phone number sells 3 other scams.  

• Yeah, I read that the other day that Cox is going to offer their "Simultaneous ring"...wonder how much that's gonn a cost.  I'm aware of their 30 number call rejection "solution", and have also bought a Panasonic phone to block 250 or so numbers.  Seems like with all the technology nowadays, Cox has REALLY dropped the ball on their residential customers.  I really enjoy that 800notes site, consult it several times daily.

• Hello dhw1949, We will be having upgrades pushed out in the future providing additional features to the residential phone service. We do not have any set details or pricing on them currently. You will be able to find out these releases coming up in your billing statements under the "News from Cox" section in the near future.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You want Nomorobo to block the number of this nice lady?  What did she do?  If she decides to call her family or friends from this phone number ...what?...she'll get blocked.  Again, what did she do?

That's one of the flaws of Nomorobo:  phone numbers of innocent people get registered.  Now she'll have to jump through hoops to get her number removed.  Yeah, I'm sure she deserves all that.

• I'm not sure what all Nomorobo looks at to put a number on a block list.  But the fact that the ladiy's caller id name did not show on the incoming call, versus on call history after I called her may be information elements that Nomorobo would take into consideration when making the determination of whether it is a robocall or a legitimate one.  If you call someone, your name shows on their caller id.  If a robocall uses your number, no name is sent.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Nomorobo is a user-populated database.  If you're a subscriber and receive a nuisance call, you'd report the number to Nomorobo.  However, a scammer can easily bypass this process.

Scammers will use a number only once.  They'll make an initial batch of calls and by the time a subscriber reports it...or by the time Nomorobo updates their database...the scammers will have moved on to another one-time number.  In essence, Nomorobo would be blocking ghosts.

Since Nomorobo came online, the number of calls I've received from one-time numbers has increased 60 percent.  Before Nomorobo, I averaged 5 calls a month from one-time numbers, now I average 8 calls per month.  Nomorobo only made it worst.

Scammers call from 'good' robocall numbers (doctor, pharmacy, schools, advisories, municipalities, etc).  Since Nomorobo came online, I've received more calls from preschools, Fairfax County Public Schools and strange doctors' offices and pharmacies.  My kids graduated college years ago and I haven't been to a doctor.

Nomorobo won't block charities.  Those are my worst calls.  Big Brothers Big Sisters, Special Olympics, Kiddie Cancer, Lupus...they're relentless.

What if my number gets spoofed?  Meaning, what if a scammer uses my number and I try to call a Nomorobo subscriber?  Not only will I have to jump through hoops to remove my number, but curious people will start calling me.

The Nomorobo database is only numbers.  Meaning, it doesn't consider the Name Field, aka Username, Caller ID Name.  It shouldn't consider the names because different providers could have different names assigned to the number.  For example, my Mom.

She moved to another address a few years ago but kept her old number.  When she informed her service provider of her new address, the rep misspelled her last name.  I noticed it, told her and she has since corrected it with her provider.  Cox, however, still displays the misspelled name.

If you subscribe to Caller ID, your service provider will append the Caller ID info to the call.  However, that information is in a third-party database and that third-party will charge Cox for each lookup.  Therefore, to save some cash, Cox will lookup once and keep the info locally on file.  I've been seeing that misspelling for 3 years.  Anyway, Nomorobo wouldn't block calls based on inconsistent names.