Forum Discussion

Voodoo_Chili
New Contributor
7 years ago

Cox has ZERO Tech to stop the Robo Calls

Have been a Cox Customer for decades and the robo / unsolicited calls are increasing at an alarming rate --- getting on average 15-20 spam calls on Cox DAILY.  The COX Phone Block feature is useless, limited.

Caller ID is totally broken --- faked, fraudulent almost all the time.

Registered on the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY, have filed complaints with the FCC, FTC, etc .

May have to move away from Cox to another VOIP incorporating blocking tech --- Cox just isn't up to par with others as to a solution to this growing problem

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Voodoo Chili,

I agree, robocalls are a daily nuisance! You will be happy to know that Cox is in the process of upgrading phone network technology in order to provide customers with new phone features.

One of the new features coming in 2018 is Simultaneous Ring. The big deal with Simultaneous Ring is that it will enable customers to filter out spam calls via tools like Nomorobo. Also coming in 2018 are enhancements to Cox Phone Tools and a new Cox Mobility app. Changes will be announced in the "News From Cox" section of your monthly bill statement, so stay tuned!

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator

@dhw1949

We do not have that information at this current time.

• Good hearing that Cox is FINALLY doing something about it --- Consumer Reports has Cox rated pretty poorly on its ratings list --- in the #12 Spot (63 Score, judged "WORSE" in value) behind a ton of other companies.

I do have other options (e.g. FIOS) and robo calls / spam is one of the main reasons I'm close to going with a competitor. 

Nomorobo and other already fielded robo call blocking technologies already work on AT&T U-Verse, Astound Broadband, BroadVoice/PhonePower, Cablevision/Optimum, Comcast, Frontier, Sonic, SureWest, Time Warner, Ooma Premier, Verizon FiOS, Voipo, Voip.ms, Vonage, 1-Voip, and Wave Broadband.   I'm a Computer Scientist and this blocking tech is OLD, FIELDED, READILY AVAILABLE --- Cox has no excuses for not deploying.

Cox needs to step up its game, get the tech and help its customers ---- or we'll just move over to a competitor.

• They need to figure out the most they can charge.  Part of why nothing is done is the fact that unwanted SPAM and robocalls are a profit opportunity for providers like Cox... and it is the customer who will pay- ad NOT the criminals knowingly harassing them.

OTOH... props to Cox for FINALLY making available a service that should curtail the harassment that has gone on too long.  The DNC list seemed to be little more than a compilation of good numbers that so called "charities" telemarketers disguised as survey takers used to harass folks who simply don't want to receive any calls outside their family, friends, or business.

Oh, and as an aside, don't ever give to any big name charity.... I made a major blunder 20 years ago by donating to a prominent charity and have been paying the price ever since with no reliable peace as my contact information, which I stupidly provided, was apparently sold and I'm forever on a list that charities use to try and hound donation.  Of course that has nothing to do with Cox, and hopefully those calls would be addressed by the long anticipated improvement.

dhw1949 said:

Is it a secret?

mauve
    New Contributor

Had I realized nomorobo would not work on Cox, I never would have left Verizon.  Not only is the current blocking feature cumbersome to use, it doesn't block anonymous calls even though I have it set up to do so.

And lately, when a spammer calls, they won't let me hang up!  I've pushed off, placed it in the handset, but when I pick it up, the spammer is still talking!  Horrible!

I'm still wondering why all of a sudden when I switched to Cox, I started getting so many spam callers-- several from numbers I know I had previously blocked while on Verizon with the same phone number.

nandor
    New Contributor

+1.  This has been an open request since 2014.  Step it up Cox.

nichollsvi
    New Contributor III

Totally agree. Cox has no excuse except they want to up rates for more money without providing services. I'm also looking at other options.