Forum Discussion

mine
New Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Fax line condition test

My printer won't set itself up because it says the fax line has a weak signal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• @mine

Can you make sure the phone jack your using has a dial tone?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @mine Are you trying to connect your printer to your wireless network?
    mine
    New Contributor

My printer is connected to a wireless network. When I try to use the automatic setup feature on the printer I can hear the dial tone then it stops and prints out a report that says:

Fax hardware Test.......................Pass

Fax Connected to Active Telephone Wall Jack.......................Pass

Phone Cord Connected to Correct Port on Fax.......................Pass

Using Correct Type of Phone Cord wit Fax...............................Pass

Dial Tone Detection....................................................................Pass

Fax Line Condition Test............................................................Fail

Your Fax Line Has a Weak Signal

Please Check the items listed below then rerun the test:

Other equipment sharing the fax line can reduce the signal strength:

Disconnect any equipment which is sharing the fax line (including extension phones, answering machines, and dial-up PC modems.

If you are using a splitter or some other device between the fax and the wall jack, remove it and connect the fax directly to the wall jack.

If the Fax Line Condition still fails, contact your phone service provider to have the fax line checked

I've done ALL of this! I also tried to set it up manually with no better results. The manual set up asks me the same questions as the auto set up which are:

Are voice calls received on this same phone line and I tried both yes and no!

Do you have a distinctive ring for fax calls? If unsure answer no and I selected no.

Is there a voice mail service on phone line and I've answered both no and yes at times.

Is there an answering machine and I said no.

So this is where I'm at. I have set up my printer to fax when I had ATT service and it worked fine. One of the reasons I got your phone service was for fax capabilities because I had canceled my account with ATT.

mine
    New Contributor

My printer is connected to a wireless network. When I try to use the automatic setup feature on the printer I can hear the dial tone then it stops and prints out a report that says:

Fax hardware Test.......................Pass

Fax Connected to Active Telephone Wall Jack.......................Pass

Phone Cord Connected to Correct Port on Fax.......................Pass

Using Correct Type of Phone Cord wit Fax...............................Pass

Dial Tone Detection....................................................................Pass

Fax Line Condition Test............................................................Fail

Your Fax Line Has a Weak Signal

Please Check the items listed below then rerun the test:

Other equipment sharing the fax line can reduce the signal strength:

Disconnect any equipment which is sharing the fax line (including extension phones, answering machines, and dial-up PC modems.

If you are using a splitter or some other device between the fax and the wall jack, remove it and connect the fax directly to the wall jack.

If the Fax Line Condition still fails, contact your phone service provider to have the fax line checked

I've done ALL of this! I also tried to set it up manually with no better results. The manual set up asks me the same questions as the auto set up which are:

Are voice calls received on this same phone line and I tried both yes and no!

Do you have a distinctive ring for fax calls? If unsure answer no and I selected no.

Is there a voice mail service on phone line and I've answered both no and yes at times.

Is there an answering machine and I said no.

So this is where I'm at. I have set up my printer to fax when I had ATT service and it worked fine. One of the reasons I got your phone service was for fax capabilities because I had canceled my account with ATT.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @mine

Can you make sure the phone jack your using has a dial tone?

mine
    New Contributor

I'm using the jack on the cox phone modem and it has a dial tone. 

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    Like to try and reset the modem from this end. Is now a good time?