Forum Discussion

LongtimeCox
New Contributor
7 years ago

No dial tone - no phone service

The phone line in my house is completely dead. I get no dial tone. On my wireless phones it says "Line in use" even though it isn't and all the phones are firmly hung up. I've un plugged the wireless phone and plugged in an old fashioned landline. It is completely dead, too. Nothing works.

The new VoIP modem appears to be working, according to the lights on it, but nothing I do to it makes any difference.

It's dangerous to be completely without a phone. I can't call for service. What can I do?

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @LongtimeCox

If you don't have the phone plugged directly into the modem (tele port 1) try plugging the phone directly into that port on the modem and ss if you get a dail tone.

LongtimeCox
    New Contributor

I plugged a landline directly into modem port 1 and DID get a dial tone.

I guess that means the wiring in my house is faulty. I still need a technician to find and fix the problem.

What else can I do?

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @LongtimeCox

Please email full address and primary name on the account to cox.help@cox.com.

LongtimeCox
    New Contributor

Already done, Jonathan. Thank you for your help.

One other thing: I realized that the only thing that changed in our telephone wiring is the installation of the VoIP telephone modem. If the modem isn't at fault, it must be the wire that connects it to the rest of the house's phone wiring. I looked at that connection and it looks pretty jury-rigged to me. There could be a bad connection there.

So, I plugged our wireless phone's base station directly in to the VoIP modem so that the slave wireless units could work - and they do. At least we have  phone service until this is corrected.

So, again, thanks for your help.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @LongtimeCox

Most welcome, glad you were able to get it work. Did you still want to schedule a technician out?

LongtimeCox
    New Contributor

Yes. Plugging directly into the VoIP modem is temporary.; not permanent. I need someone to fix what's wrong with the house's phone wiring so the phone jacks around the house work. Right now, none of them do.

• We can set something up for you. I apologize, I haven't located an email from you. Did you already send to cox.help@cox.com?
  • I have seen something as simple as a spider's cobweb inside the phone jack touching the red and green pair (center 2 'prongs' in the phone jack kill a line.  Opened the jack, brushed the jack with a toothbrush, cleared the problem.  Worse in humid climates.