Forum Discussion

andyserenity
New Contributor
12 years ago

Windows 8 & Cox POP email

Looks like Windows 8 mail needs IMAP configuration, not POP.

Is there a way to configure my Cox email to work with Win8?

Thank you.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • When you attempt to add "Other" e-mail and select POP Windows 8 returns a message stating that POP3 is not supported. Only IMAP and EAS are supported. The final release has changed e-mail support. Does not match the screen image captures shown in the article reference above.  

Does Cox support either IMAP or EAS?

• Thank you all for your involvement. For whatever reason, it did not occur to me to simply install Windows Live Mail which is what I've been using in Win7. I guess I was flustered that WLM was not incorporated into Win8. It is a fine client I believe and of course supports POP.

The link is http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-other-programs and just choose to install email from the list of options.

Thanks again all.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

Yes, after I did a little more experimenting with this yesterday I found this to be an alternative.  I think Microsoft want to get everybody used to the idea of using the Metro interface as much as possible.

Bigchief
    New Contributor

My Quick Fix:

Export your Address Book.

Download Windows Essentials - Install Windows Live Mail

Set up your Cox mail.

Import your Address Book.

Make a folder under ‘Inbox’ - I used ‘My Mail’.

Go to message rules.

Rule 1 - Selected names to ‘My Mail’.

‘Inbox’ is not a choice.

Rule 2 - If not in rule 1 - to ‘Junk email’.

‘Junk email’ is a choice.

The key is to tell it exactly where to put the mail.

javaman07
    New Contributor

You need IMAP support, don't wast your time with COX email. I know it's a hassle changing email providers, but switch to Yahoo mail or GMail. Both services are free, provide more storage than COX, faster service than COX, Secure IMAP support, server based email filters. This is the year 2007...or years later... people are using more than one computer/device, IMAP really should be provided by now.

You'll be happy you stopped using COX email.

bluesky
    New Contributor

I like my cox email. It has never been slow for me and I get hundreds of emails. My yahoo mail and GMail has too much unasked for junk mail and I hate when companies hold people hostage to try to get a monopoly on a service.  Now Microsoft looks as bad as apple.

• We have Windows Vista and Windows Live Mail.  We are moving to WIndows 8.  Somehow I receive email directly/seamlessly from Cox, but I can also go to Cox webmail when traveling or from my Kindle.  All works well on the Vista PC.

Let me be sure I understand how to use the LINK you have provided.  I simply use that link and follow the instructions step-by-step?  Is there anything to do special/extra/different since we have Cox?

LINK referenced: 

Again, all works seamlessly now and I'd like to keep it that way.  Any additional guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

You can download Windows Live Mail as referenced in that link which can be setup just as you would in Vista/7.