Forum Discussion

DisgruntledAlre
New Contributor II
12 years ago
Solved

Cox, you ***. Can't send email with Windows Live Mail. And look, I'm not the only one...

I just read this forum post from unhappy customers with the same problem I'm having, so I know I'm not going to get any help from Cox here...

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/p/666/1889.aspx#1889

Apparently you're happy to promise that your web mail works with Windows Live, but when it doesn't, oh well. I can get Windows Live to receive mail, but it won't send. I get the same kind of error messages everyone else reports.

I followed these instructions for setting up the email client:

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={a8fb24c0-6440-11df-ccef-000000000000}

I also followed these different instructions:

http://ww2.cox.com/business/idaho/support/data/article.cox?articleId={f808a330-6b56-11e0-4e73-000000000000}

I also tried the Default settings in Windows Live. Nothing.

I used "chat" for help. No help. I called Tech Support. After the lady checked my settings and it still didn't work, she directed me to Super-Duper Tech Support. After waiting on hold for however long, Super-Duper Tech Support said they wouldn't help me, because apparently Super-Duper Tech Support is a paid service. I did the requisite screaming, but the guy still told me to call me local tech support in the morning to complain, then gave me a "local" number that isn't even in my state.

Dear Cox: F*CKING FIX THIS!

• I'm seeing a few things in your post that could be problems.  First of all, the server is smtp.cox.net, not smtp.coxmail.com.  Also the test message that's trying to send was apparently sent while Windows Live Mail was configured to use a Comcast connection.  Once you're sure the settings have been corrected be sure to delete any items that may be in the outbox and try again.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator

There may be a simple fix for this issue.  Can you post what outgoing settings you currently have configured and the error message you're getting when trying to send?  Also, are you using a home Cox Internet connection when trying to send?

DisgruntledAlre
    New Contributor II

Hi, Chris. Like I said, I've used every setting suggested on two different pages on your site. The current ones are

• smtp.coxmail.com
    • My server requires authentification
    • Log on using clear text authentification
    • Outgoing mail server port 465
    • This server requires a secure connection (SSL)

My most recent error message reads:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test' Server: 'smtp.comcast.net' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10013

Unable to send or receive messages for the Cox (barancik) account. A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.

Server: 'pop.coxmail.com' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19 Protocol: POP3 Port: 995 Secure(SSL): No

When I use different settings, it often picks up the incoming mail. No matter the setting, it's never sent outgoing.

I see this quirk too: Even though the outgoing port is set to 465, Cox is reporting back about the default port, 25.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

I'm seeing a few things in your post that could be problems.  First of all, the server is smtp.cox.net, not smtp.coxmail.com.  Also the test message that's trying to send was apparently sent while Windows Live Mail was configured to use a Comcast connection.  Once you're sure the settings have been corrected be sure to delete any items that may be in the outbox and try again.

DisgruntledAlre
    New Contributor II

Chris, thank you. I'm not sure why the tech directed me to the page with the coxmail.com instructions, but reverting to the other and deleting the outbox contents did the trick. Thank you!