Forum Discussion

Chiron99
New Contributor
10 years ago

Only getting max download of 33 Mbps with new DOCSIS 3 Motorola SB6183 16channel modem and Premier upgrade

I had a very old DOCSIS 2 modem until recently when I received my new DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola SB6183 in the mail.

I was on Preferred Internet and would get 20-25 Mbps reliably and actually got 33 Mbps this am before changing out the modem.

I swapped the modems and called support to activate new modem - I had the rep upgrade me to Premier at that time.

I am still capping at 33 Mbps downloads and about 7 Mbps uploads despite the upgrade.

Could someone check to see if anything can be done on the COX end of things to speed up the connection?

Thanks!

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    mdiaz1328
    New Contributor

Yeah, I received an email from cox hyping the need to cough up $80.00 for equipment that results in no real improvement in speed! Had I known, I would have just taken my wife out for a nice dinner with that $80.00.

I measured my speed on AT&T web site (just google att speed test) before and after the "upgrade". There was virtually no difference. I measure both wired and wireless.

My humble advice is, just keep the old equipment until Cox can GUARANTEE a drastic improvement in speed. The equipment itself is capable of over 300Mbps. But of course Cox does not provide anywhere NEAR that.

• Hi Chiron, I can reset the modem from here. Please let me know when is a good time for us to do that. Sometimes the modem has to be reset a couple of times. Signal to the house looks good though.

• I just sent the signal to reset the device. Allow a couple of minutes for it to recycle, then restart any other equipment you have connecting to the device. Run another speed test from our website. It will post the results and we can review them from here.

Chiron99
    New Contributor

did the reset and rest the apple extreme router.

Still no improvement in download speeds.

I have 12 channels bonded downstream according to the modem channels 49-60 with good power and SNR.

I have 3 upstream channels bonded 1-3 with adequate power of 40.5 dBmV.

What is next step?

Chiron99
    New Contributor

When I check internet speed on cox website it still has me listed as Preferred Package although I am listed as Premier Package on view or upgrade services part of website.

Am I provisioned properly for the new DOCSIS 3 modem?

DerrickW
    Valued Contributor
    Chiron99,

It looks like we will need to re-provision the modem to make sure that you're getting the speeds you are supposed to.  I did not want to do so without your knowledge, let us know if it is ok to do that today.
    Chiron99
    New Contributor

yes, this is a good time to attempt to provision the modem again.

Can you see if I have the proper Premier Service Code on my account for DOCSIS 3.0?

I ask only because I had an old SB5101 for the last 10+ years on the account until yesterday, and I am sure had the old service code.

That could be the only issue as I have good signal and bonding on 12 channels down.

Chiron99
    New Contributor

Looks like your re-provisioning has applied the new account code.

Cox speediest now blazing at 125 Mbps down, 34 Mbps up.

Thanks for the assistance.