Forum Discussion

Perplexed_in_Po
New Contributor
11 years ago

Keep Cox Email After Moving Out of Cox Service Area?

We're moving out of the Hampton Roads Cox service area soon.

Is there some way to keep our Cox email account active for a few months after we move and cancel all other services?

I expect there would be some charge for this, and that would be fine. Please, somebody, let me know if this will be a possibility and what we would need to do to set this up when we're ready to move and have to cancel our other Cox services.

Thanks!

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    Unfortunately that option is no longer available.  My best suggestion would be to setup a new email account elsewhere and put a forwarding rule on your existing cox.net address and as the forwards come in advise the sender accordingly.
  • Okay, now I'm confused. I called Cox support after posting my query, and was told this IS possible. The nice lady I spoke with told me I could do this with Cox's "Seasonal Saver," and that it would cost Nine-something dollars a month (I forget the exact figure). Is that not correct? If not, why are telephone support people giving out misinformation?

This is a big issue, since we won't have new email elsewhere for at least a few weeks after we move and end current Cox service. I'd rather not have to go the gmail or yahoo mail route, given their spamming problems and lousy security.

So: Is there such a thing as "Seasonal Saver"? Would it work for us for a month or two after ending other services, or not? If not, why not? And what do you mean by a "forwarding rule on ... existing cox.net address"? What's that? How does it work if we have to go that route with (shudder) gmail?

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    A Seasonal Saver account would work if you're planning on coming back to your residence at some point.  This temporary suspends your services while keeping the account active for a small monthly fee.  If you are planning on selling your home however when the next occupant moves in and establishes an account with us your Seasonal Saver account would be immediately closed and any email addresses linked to it lost.
  • Okay, so the support person on the phone misinformed me. I guess I'm glad I at least thought to check her response on this forum instead of innocently assuming I could proceed with continuing Cox email for a short time.

Now, for the rest of my question: You said something about a "forwarding rule on [my] existing cox.net address." How do I do that and how would that work once we move and cancel all services? Again, I now know I'll have to go gmail or something like that until we have service at our new house. How would I go about setting up a "forwarding rule" that (1) would forward everything to that gmail box and, most importantly (2) survive after we cancel all Cox services when we move?

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    I'm not sure what your time table is but you can go into http://webmail.cox.net and click Settings then Forwarding to setup a rule to forward all your emails to a new account.  Note that this still will only work while your email account is active so if you're planning on closing your account soon you might as well start now.