Forum Discussion

sbmancuso
New Contributor
12 years ago

Problem with cox email client

I have been trying to troubleshoot a cox email account.  I can login to the webmail without a problem so I know I have the appropriate username and password.  I used to have my account setup in windows livemail.  In September 2011 the livemail stopped receiving incoming email.  I was able to email out.  At this time I transitioned to the cox web mail to read my emails.  However, I just recently purchased an Ipad 3 and wanted to use the mail on the Ipad and not the cox web mail.  I have researched all forums for settings and am at a complete loss.  My friend was able to setup their cox email on the Ipad and windows live without any problem in a minute.  I compared all settings and they are the same for my account and his account.

The error that I get on the Ipad is "Cannot Get Mail - The user name or password for "pop.cox.net" is incorrect.

I assume that this is a Cox problem but they are refusing to be of any assistance. 

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi SB,

I just got an iPad3, so after reading your post I decided to try setting up my Cox email account on my iPad. These are the exact steps that I took:

1. Click on the Mail icon on the iPad.
    2. A list of mail providers is shown: iCloud, Microsoft Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, mobileME, and Other.
    3. Click Other.
    4. Four fields of info are required: Name, Email address, Password, and Description.
    5. I entered: Becky, becky@cox.net, mypassword, and Cox.
    6. Click Done or Next.
    7. Mail immediately started downloading into my iPad Mail Inbox.

You can also get to the same auto-configuration starting point (#1 above) by going to Settings/Mail, Contacts, & Calendars/Add Account.

I apologize that you have had difficulty getting this set up. Aside from ensuring you can successfully log into cox.net WebMail (verifies that you have the correct password) and providing the pop and smtp server information (not needed on the iPad), Cox does not offer telephone technical support for Smartphones or tablets. 

Here's a good Cox support article with all the iPad email setup steps: http://bit.ly/SetUpCoxEmail_iPad. Let me know if this helps and if you are successful in getting your mail setup!

sbmancuso
    New Contributor

Becky,

I have been through that webpage a 100 times.  I don't think it is an Ipad setting issue as I was able to easily setup a different cox account on the ipad.  I think it is a problem with the account but it doesn't make sense that you can get on webmail but you can't get mail via a client through pop mail.

• I am having the same problem. I have set up literally thousands of email accounts on iOS devices as I work for Apple, yet I get the same error message when I attempt to add my own on both my iPhone and iPad. I am 100% positive that the name and passwords are correct. 

jmwarren65
    New Contributor

I just picked up a Droid 4 yesterday. Cox is the only email account I cannot set up on my new phone. My Yahoo email was instantaneous. I even went so far as to manually enter all the COX POP and SMTP settings. Still won't set up. Very frustrating.

Jtcava
    New Contributor

I have pretty much the same problem. All of a sudden, after 2+ years getting email on iphone,  I am not able to get my cox email on my iphone4.  Big problem as this is how I communicate globally.  I have confirmed all setting and been on the phone with apple and cox- to no avail.  I have read and done all stuff- delete account, reset account, confirm ports , userid , password, etc.  nothing . Read a couple apple forums and it came up that it could be a corrupt email so I delete all. Nothing.I

However I think I have determine now that it is a cox server or account issue.  Why? Because I have another cox account and another email client and I can get the emails on my iPhone.  Just not my main account which is what I really need.  Please please help.  I hope next time I call cox support they will help and re sync account or do whatever  to fix and not just say it is a device issue.  

I understand cox email server names chane recently-- to pop.cox.net from something like pop.west. Cox.net.  I am east coast and west coast so perhaps their server network sync isn't passing credentials.

Please help!!!

Hog_Bob
    New Contributor

I had this issue when I let ITunes configure my email account automaticly the 1st time for my new IPhone 4S.  Worked at first  but after a while I couldn't write an email & not get the warning that the server rejected the email when I tried to send it.  I would then have to go back in & enter my email password for my outgoing mail to send.  When I checked the settings later I found that none of the SMTP settings were saved & cox requires passwords to authenticate.

I deleted the account & started over again manually.  I created the account using OTHER (not Exchange) type of account.  Added my name, email address, password & description & system verified the account & filled in rest of the necessary data.  First thing I noticed is that ALL the outgoing mail settings were set differently vice the Exchange settings - the so far the settings have not disappeared.  I also deselected synchronizing the email account in ITunes.

Differences between exchange email  & manual email were; incoming mail host names (pop.east.cox.net vs pop.cox.net), incoming mail SSL (no / yes), server port (25 / 995), outgoing mail server (smtp.east.cox.net vs smtp.cox.net, user name (optional / yes), password (optional / used), outgoing mail use SSL (no / yes), authentication (none / password) & server port (25 / 587). 

So far works for Me! Good Luck.

mira
    New Contributor

I've read there are problems lately with McAfee and other virus protection on email that one would want to download to email management software, such as my two attempts -- Windows LiveMail and also Outlook.  I've done eerythign mentioned on this topic listed here ... manual settings and all.  Works fine for me to get my gmail in Windows LiveMail, but not Cox's email.  Cox's instructions are incomplete too at the following links I've used:

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={38611eb0-bc75-11e1-eb46-000000000000} They don't tell you whether to only check off SSL for incoming POP3 and not for check anything (or not) for outgoing SMTP. They don't tell you whether it is to be authenticated, SPA, either.  Very annoying.  Obviously, by all I'm reading here, COX has made changes and they won't address it.   SO, I'VE HAD TO LEARN ELSEWHERE for this.  BUT WHICH IS IT?  pop.cox.net or pop.west.cox.net? Do you skip checking SSL and authentication for outgoing, but do it for incoming?  Are they telling us the right PORT #'s when they used to be, and common are, 110 and 25, not 995 and 465?  I don't trust they're info, yet have carefully done it all with consistency.

Here is what I was told today ... GO BUY ASSISTANCE from Cox Tech Solutions.  This is not right when the problem is clearly with COX's Internet team and changes they have made, whether it's finishing the JOB on the instructions above, or sorting out McAfee issue they are probably having. 

Clearly, we should have support on this for free at ALL of the options to our right on this web pae: 24/7 Support call, McAfee too, Online Support, Email.  PLEASE ANYONE HELP ME AND HELP US ALL. 

hughejd
    New Contributor

Becky,

I also set up my Cox email account on my new iPad 3.  I had no problems getting it to work.  However, here are some issues I'm having:

1. When I delete a message on my iPad, it is not deleted from the server.  I still have to go into webmail and delete it again.
    2. If I open any mailbox other than my inbox on the iPad - for example, Sent mail - only the messages I sent from the iPad are shown.  Any messages I sent from webmail on my desktop don't appear.

Any ideas for how to resolve these issues?

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

Our email system is a POP3 system which does not support synchronizing sent items as you are desiring.  The following Apple support article may explain how to enable deleting of email from the server when deleted from the iPad.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3228