Forum Discussion

wilson0x4d
New Contributor
11 years ago

Disconnects, resets, latency spikes?

I've noticed for (at least) a few weeks now that packet latency occasionally spikes (against, say, cox DNS servers or linux.org). I also experience intermittent disconnects.

Believing this may have been caused by my router or by my cable modem I upgraded to an SBG6850 last Sunday, retiring an old Linksys WRT router and a DOCSIS2. While I now get slightly higher up/down rates (average of 18 down 22 up instead of 18 down 5 up.)

Unfortunately, I am still experiencing latency spikes, and I am still occasionally disconnected from the internet.

I am a self-employed software engineer as such I work from home 90% of the time, so I routinely have RDP sessions open against AWS, to remote offices, machiines local to my network and VMs. Thus, when the internet here "hiccups" I notice, every day, I was really hoping to have solved this problem by upgrading to a modem rated for the service level I am paying for (I am a Premier Internet subscriber.) The last straw for me was today when the internet disconnected in the middle of a code push up to github, talk about horrible timing :( right?

I don't feel that upgrading to Ultimate is going to solve my problem, so, what can I do to resolve this issue?

As an aside, these "hiccups" also interrupt my tv and movie streaming, video game performance, bitcoin mining, etc which is why I pay for Premier service, I don't want to see "buffering 0%" every time I watch a movie :(

If it's a matter of throwing more money at Cox just tell me where to go so I can be done with it. Otherwise, let me know what info I can give you to help resolve the issue. I really want a consistently stable experience, as it stands I have not experienced a single problem-free day in what feels like 5 weeks or more.

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion