Forum Discussion

DavidD
New Contributor
12 years ago

Static IP Addresses...

I have a Business Internet Account so I pay more for my Internet connection and also pay $5.00 extra each month for each static IP addresse (more than one) that I need.  Why is it that Cox keeps changing my static IP addresses.  This causes me quite a bit of extra work and cost (since I have to engage a consultant) to re-IP my equipment and the software that I have installed.  Does Cox not know what STATIC means?  Here this may help:

stat·ic
(st t  k)

adj.
a. Having no motion; being at rest; quiescent.
b. Fixed; stationary.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi David,

CBS accounts most definitely have static IPs that should not change. Are you sure that you have a Cox Business Services (CBS) Internet account? The fact that you mention the $5 extra a month makes me think it might not be a Cox Business account, as all of those fees are built-in. 

Email your full name, address, and your account number (if you have it) to coxhelp@cox.com and I'll verify this for you. I definitely want to determine the account type! There's always a possibility that it's a CBS account with an IP address issue we need to fix!

XIII
    New Contributor

My understanding is that only Business accounts can get a static IP, if residential accounts can when did this start?

Bryce
    New Contributor

XIII, it didn't start. Cox doesn't do static IPs for residential accounts.

XIII
    New Contributor

Because Becky mentions that with a $5 fee it might not be a biz account leads me to believe that you can get a static when in fact you cant.

notfiveo
    New Contributor

You can also have a business account at a residential location with a static IP. Cox does charge $5 a month for each additional static IP number that you  lease from Cox. If you have a business account your email address will be  hrcoxmail.com instead of cox.net.

There is no reason for a Cox assigned static IP to change unless it is not set up as static in the router.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

As I'm reading this I thing the initial quesiton may have been misunderstood.  Static doesn't mean that the IP address won't change but that it's not allocated automatically via DHCP.  Generally speaking they shouldn't change often however if we move your subnet to a different physical location due to network or other needs it does become necessary to provide new addresses.

DavidD
    New Contributor

Thanks for the great feedback and discussion...

On average my Static IP Addresses have changed (been reassigned due to network upgrades) every two years.  This is the third time I've had to have my IP addresses changed due to a "Network" update.  You'd think that for the $60.00/yr extra I pay for each additional static address, I'd be able to keep a set for more than 2 years at a time.  I use both Cox static and Cox dynamic IP's in my network and I believe I've had a DHCP (dynamic) IP for a longer period of time than some of my static IP's.

So here is a follow on question for you to ponder. -> Should the customer be responsible for charges they incur to update their systems to support these "Network" updates?  In my case I have to get a consulting company to make the changes to my systems.  It's not just updating the IP addresses in the OS but its also the software I run that has the "Static" addresses imbedded into it.  So these IP addresses are a bit of a pain to update every two years.

Thanks again for your feedback...

mrblack
    New Contributor

you try dynamic dns service it's free if you have an domain. automatically maintains your ip