Forum Discussion

3 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator

Hello, the Panoramic Wifi Pods that Cox offers have a maximum throughput of 100 Mbps over a WiFi connection. They are designed to increase WiFi coverage (but not increase speeds) by eliminating dead spots where WiFi coverage drops or is weak, to improve your online experience.

In regards to if and when the Pods will eventually be able to effectively utilize a higher tier of internet service, Cox is always working to make vast improvements in their products and services. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

cpufox
      New Contributor II

This doesn't make sense. Why would a Gigablast customer want to get better coverage but suffer slowdown to 100Mbs when on the mesh?  There is no rental option now, and the pages advertising $129 for 3 pods say nothing about this!!  OK, I accept 100Mbps is not bad, I upgraded from two plans down to Gigablast. That plan is alot less expensive and offers up to 150Mbps.  Granted I've never enjoyed wireless speeds with Gigablast of higher than 480, but generally average 250 or so with family streaming through LAN connected TVs, etc.  So I get 3 pods, and most ANY device in the house may be connecting though the Mesh, and even at 5GHz I will now get no more than 100?!  

Can you verify this?  This is a bit of a scam if Gigablast customers opt for this now, just so their Wifi Electric Car Charger can have it's 2.4Ghz Wifi connection.  I've tried extenders, and nothing but headaches with them, different SSIDs etc. Getting this answer is quite disappointing.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Cpufox

As Kevin mentioned before, Pods have a maximum throughput of 100 Mbps over a WiFi connection. •The number of Pods or hops that a Pod connects through will limit internet speeds. Move Pods closer to the gateway for optimal speed and performance. Also, make sure that your Panoramic Wifi Gateway has a single network name (SSID) and password for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. www.cox.com/.../panoramic-wifi-pods.html.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator