Forum Discussion

JeffDugan
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cox packet loss to amazon web services

Hello,

For the past 9 months I have struggled with the most frustrating issue playing games using Cox as my ISP. The issue is between the connection of Cox communications and amazon web services. The games that use amazon web services ( that I play at least) are : Fortnite, Rocket League, Mordhau, and PUBG. A Cox employee will likely comment on this post that they have pinged my router and seen no traces of packet loss (because thats not what im saying), so before that happens please understand that the issue is between Cox and AWS. I need this fixed or I am done with Cox. For anyone who reads this and has the same frustrating issues, just know that Cox sweeps this under the rug by locking every post about it. Anyone who reads this who has not yet swapped to Cox and plays and AAA title games that use AWS for their servers, please do yourself a favor and stay away. 

FIX IT. 

Thanks,

7 Replies

JeffDugan
    New Contributor

Also, before a cox tech support genius comments that a tech should come out to check my equipment, I have had that done three times. My router/modem has been replaced, we have checked every existing wire/connection. This is not a issue at my location, my neighbors have this issue as well. 

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Jeff, we appreciate your feedback, and thank you for continuing to be a loyal Cox customer. Fluctuations in latency within connecting networks outside of Cox’s network, such as gaming servers, is beyond the scope of our troubleshooting. In this case, we typically ask customers to provide traceroutes, so we can see if packet loss and/or latency is occurring on/off of the Cox network.

However, I have pinged your modem several times, and I am detecting 4-6%, and sometimes as high as 10% packet loss. There's generally a correlation between packet loss and slow speeds. As I'm seeing consistent packet loss on your modem, I do recommend sending out a service technician to diagnose and correct. I have documented your file accordingly to reflect this information, and we encourage you to email us at cox.help@cox.com for further support. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        JeffDugan
        New Contributor

Thank you, a tech was at my house on Friday evening and was unable to fix anything. As stated above, he was the third to attempt to fix this.