Forum Discussion

az_user
New Contributor
5 years ago

Almost every afternoon, Internet speed crashes around the same time.

Almost every afternoon, Internet speed crashes around the same time. I have 150mbs, and speed drops dramatically. And it self-resolves after a half hour or so.
We have several items connected, mostly IOT, not using much bandwidth.
Talked to Tech Support in Jamaica, all they could say was that 150 mbs was not enough bandwidth and I should buy more.
Anyone else having this issue?

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    kcs
    New Contributor

This happens to me literally every single day. Apparently there’s nothing they can do besides send a signal to your modem every time you chat with them. Sick of paying these people. 

LisaH
      Hi Kcs. I can understand how frustrating it is when your service isn't working as expected. To get help, please send your complete address, name on the account and this link to cox.help@cox.com and we will be glad to address your issue. Thanks, Lisa -Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Hi Az, when your speed drops, how many devices are accessing the internet at that time, and for what purpose? (Examples: streaming video, online gaming, uploading live video, working through a VPN, checking email, etc.) Are all devices impacted by the drop in speed? Are your devices wired or wireless? If all of your devices are wireless, connect one device to your modem/Gateway with an Ethernet cord, reset the modem, and run the Cox.com Speed Test (www.cox.com/.../accessing-the-speed-test-tool.html) each time you notice a drop in speed. Testing on a wired device will help rule out WiFi interference issues. Post your results here or email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      az_user
      New Contributor

Hi Becky, typically I am using a laptop wirelessly, an IP phone is wired (but idle) and a few items are connected but inactive (Nest thermostat, sprinkler controller, Roku & Dish systems on TV's not turned on, locally connected printer).  No streaming, no gaming, etc.  Just normal Internet browsing (email, etc).

I will try the speed test on hard line and report.  Thank you.

Allan
        Hello Az. You are most welcome. Please let us know if this issue continues. We will be here to help. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.