Forum Discussion

okcbaker
New Contributor
5 years ago

Is Gigablast fiber the same as AT&T's?

I switched from Cox about two years ago to AT&T because Cox Gigablast was not available in my area.  Supposedly it is now, and I have lost my speeds originally acquired upon installation.  I constantly got about 920 Mbps down using Ethernet to Gaming Laptop. Would Cox run new Fiber, or use the one AT&T ran?  I have my suspicions about the BGW210 throttling my speeds since it shows 1 GB to the gateway.  Speeds have become slow throughout the house both wirelessly and hardwired and they can't seem to do anything about it and blame my equipment.  I hooked up another laptop in place of mine and got 920 twice, but dropped to 340 shortly after that and has remained there.  It's very frustrating and I've tried researching it for days and have found no solid answer.  What if I have the same problem if I switch to Cox?

4 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

There are 2 types of speed tests:  WAN and LAN.

A WAN test would be directly hardwired to the WAN port of your BGW210 to test the throughput of your AT&T connection.  A LAN test would be from your router...either wired or wireless...to your device.

If you're constantly measuring 1 Gbps at your WAN port, AT&T is providing good service.  If you're measuring less than optimal from either a LAN port or wirelessly from your router, it's your service.  "Your" service meaning your equipment or your network.

I don't mean your equipment could be faulty because you could just have congestion on your home network.

Cox would use the same fiber as AT&T.

• Cox can guarantee "up to" a GIG not consistently GIG speeds and that is only over ethernet. Have you tried cat6 or cat7 cable? 

Sometimes it also depends on how many servers your running through to get to whatever game your playing.

• If you are in a location that we have fiber to the home, that would be our own fiber not AT&T's. If it is not available through fiber, it would be through DOCSIS 3.1/coaxial.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator