Forum Discussion

5-Card-Major
New Contributor
5 years ago

Arris TG1682 DOCSIS 3.0 (router/modem/telephone controller)...

The above is what we have currently with 'ultimate' up/down speed package.

Is the new DOCSIS 3.1 version of the above (but with 32x8 bonding), the Arris TM3402, available now to replace the Arris TG1682 that we now have? 

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Why do you want to replace your TG1682?  Are you considering upgrading to gigabit?  If so, then yes, the TM3402 has Cox Voice.

• Hi 5-Card-Major. The replacement for the Arris TG1682 gateway/phone eMta is the Technicolor CMG 4141 DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router/telephone combo. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

This got me in trouble the last time we discussed the CGM4141.  I previously wrote the CGM4141 does not support Cox Voice.  However, if you dig into its specs...under Back View [ports and buttons]...the CGM4141 does support Cox Voice.

My request to update the Cox Certified Cable Modems page obviously went into the infamous We Value Your Feedback bin.

We're discussing 3 modems, so I created a side-by-side compare.

- ARRIS TG1682....DOCSIS 3.0...24 × 8...Cox Voice...300 Mbps...WiFi
     - ARRIS TM3402....DOCSIS 3.1...32 × 8...Cox Voice...1 Gbps.....[No WiFi]
     - Tech CGM4141....DOCSIS 3.1...32 × 8...Cox Voice...1 Gbps.....WiFi

Major's only question:  do I want WiFi in my modem?
    True:  CGM4141
    False: TM3402

Another consideration is quality of the built-in WiFi.  From my experience on this Forum, Panoramic WiFi is not very good.  I have my own router so I can't confirm.

You need 3 things:  eMTA, DOCSIS and WiFI

Whatever you need for Cox Voice, by law, Cox has to freely issue it (eMTA).

I don't believe Cox has any more standalone eMTA units.  Maybe.  It depends what your Solution Store has in stock.

If Cox only issues combo eMTA-DOCSIS units, Cox has to freely issue it.

If you want a combo eMTA-DOCSIS-WiFi unit, Cox will gladly rent it.

If Panoramic is not good, why rent it?  Get the free eMTA-DOCSIS unit and buy your own router.  Just don't lose the eMTA-DOCSIS ($$$).