Forum Discussion

irish17
New Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

I received new modem which I was told was free and there would be no additional charges associated with it

I tried to set up new modem and now I do not have phone service.  I was told on phone that the new modem does not service phone.  I just assumed the new modem would sufficient support what my original modem did.  I have been on a neighbor's phone most of this a.m. and was told earlies time tech could come would be 8/19 between 8-10.  I also assumed the 8-10 would be 8 a.m. - 10 a.m. looking on my account it ia 8 a.m.- 10 p.m.  I do hope that my communications have  been recorded because I do not feel like the information was accurately presented and communication has been poor.  For a company whose focus is communication I would have expected a bit more.  
I have been a customer for over 10 years and am not in a position to pay more on monthly basis.  

Allan
    5 years ago
    Hello Irish17. We can certainly look into these issues for you. Please send us an email with your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com so we can help. Thanks. -Allan Cox Support Forums Moderator

22 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    irish17
    New Contributor

any advise appreciated.  I'm just concerned about not having a phone for four days.  I have been on the phone (neighbor's) all morning without much help.  

irish17
      New Contributor

I did try to put the original modem back on so that I could have phone access.  But that did not work.  I called Cox and was told that they no longer were able to service the older modem.  I am just concerned about not having phone access and not given information to allow me to make an informed decision about new modem with limited support.  Advice appreciated.  If anyone has had similar problems???

Allan
        Hello Irish17. We can certainly look into these issues for you. Please send us an email with your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com so we can help. Thanks. -Allan Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Been there; done that.  After I did a self-install, I had to wait another 23 days for phone service.

First, when the Solution Store issued my first eMTA, the power receptacle was cracked in half.

Second, when the Solution Store issued my second eMTA, the reps failed to administer my "Third-Party Verification" (twice).

Third, although I did the self-install, I had to still schedule a tech to rewire my patch-panel from circuit-switching to packet-switching.

Fourth, I couldn't schedule an appointment for the tech until I completed the Third-Party Verification.  I had to use Google Voice because I don't want a cell phone...or to bother a neighbor.  I scheduled the soonest tech:  7 days.

Fifth, Cox had to reschedule my initial appointment window from 10 AM-1 PM to 5-7 PM.  No go.  I live in a townhouse community and the Property Manager wouldn't have been on-duty to issue the key for the Comm Room.  I had to reschedule to another 7 days.

Sixth, the tech had to troubleshoot for 3 hours because whomever he was calling to provision my eMTA didn't know how to provision an eMTA.  It took 5 attempts with 5 reps.

That's just the streamlined version.  Good luck, grasshopper!

irish17
      New Contributor

Wow.  Thanks for your reply even though its a bit gloomy.  I was initially told service store close to my apt.  but it is now closed.  I was told there would be no additional cost for the replacement modem or related cost to it.  Which I specifically asked about.  I have spent the whole day while borrowing neighbor's phone to try to find resolution.  IT sounds like now I'd have to rent another modem and/or router monthly.  I never authorized new modem to be activated.  After I tried to connect new modem I saw that I didn't have phone line working and my calls started.  I do hope that the calls are recorded because they can track the poor communication which was shared.  I'm researching some other options right now.  Sadly, not much support given for long term customer.  It looks like they just want to find a way to add some additional charges.  Which I'm not interested in.

irish17
      New Contributor

now I'm on email follow and they want to know all the numbers of equipment.  I would think they would have in their system.  

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

My entire self-install kept revealing new obstacles.  It was consistently one step forward then two steps back.

LisaH
      Hi Bruce and Irish17. If you need help with activating your equipment or with your internet service, please email cox.help@cox.com and include the complete address and name on the account and we will be glad to assist you. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

What a peculiar reply.  After my futile self-install, my only method to communicate was email.  I emailed on Day-1 and was finally activated on Day-23.

The problem wasn't sending an email; the problem was all the relentless obstacles since the initial email.

- Cox Issued Defective eMTA
         - Solution Store Failed to Administer Third-Party Verification (Twice)
         - Cox.Help Refused to Administer Third-Party Verification via Email
         - No Cell Phone, No Interest to Bother Neighbors, No Interest for 4th Trip to Solution Store
         - Unknown Requirement to Rewire Patch-Panel
         - Soonest Appointment to Rewire:  7 Days
         - Cox Repeatedly Called Inoperable Landline for 2 Days to Reschedule Appointment
         - Soonest Rescheduled Appointment to Rewire:  7 Days
         - Cox Support and Tech Failed 4× to Provision eMTA within 2 Hours
         - Cox Failed to Credit 23-Day Telephone Outage

AZBigdog
    New Contributor II

We received one of those offers too. Just curious what kind of modem are they giving away for free?

irish17
      New Contributor

It is an Arris Touchstone CM8200.Just to let you know it only supports internet not phone service.     

AZBigdog
        New Contributor II

Thanks for the info.  We don't have Cox for phone service (use Ooma instead) so might take advantage of this offer. Especially if it is truly free..

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It sounds like whomever at Cox issued the wrong modem because you subscribe to Cox Voice but the modem doesn't support Cox Voice.  If you got it at a Solution Store, exchange it.

irish17
      New Contributor

It was sent to me.  If I want a modem which will support phone and internet I was told that it would be an additional $10.99 monthly fee.  Which I am not interested in.  SO be cautious about  "free" modem.  Now I am told that the original modem is not being supported by Cox.  However, it was working on Friday before I switched to new modem.  I also never authorized/initiated activation of new modem.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

No, if you want a modem which supports Internet, Voice and WiFi, Cox will rent it to you.

It sounds like you have your own WiFI.  If so, tell Cox you just want a DOCSIS-eMTA.

They're conning you.