Forum Discussion

vegasuser702
New Contributor
5 years ago

High Power Output on Modem - Channel 159 Millions of Correctables - High Packet Loss

Good afternoon,

I have had an ongoing issue here in West Las vegas. I have had a technician out twice, which each time progress was made until we arrive to our current situation.

Currently, I am experiencing unusable internet (seems to be over 50% packet loss from my modem onward in addition to 400-500ms). While I have been waiting over two weeks for assistance on the issue (supposedly I am waiting on a cold call from some escalation team), I am not able to wait anymore as the problem has persisted and gotten worse. 

I escalated again, for the third time this week with no call from "Tier 2", and I am being told that I have to wait till monday.

What can I do to get some help in resolving this issue or at least get me into a position that I can use my service over the weekend.

Channel 159

46 Locked QAM256 435000000 Hz 6.8 dBmV 39.4 dB 0 0
159 Locked Other 300000000 Hz 9.7 dBmV 41.2 dB 104007443 0

Log example from modem:

08/09/2019 21:53 82001100 5

"RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=8c:61:a3:c6:5a:59;CMTS-MAC=00:59:dc:78:f9:5b;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"

11 Replies

• Mind you, for the two techs that have come out - they removed splitters and modem location till we put the modem in a location closest to the entrypoint from the street run.

NicholeC
      Hi Vegasuser702,

I'm sorry to hear this has been an ongoing issue. We truly want a resolution. I'd like to investigate further. Please send an email to cox.help@cox.com. Please include your full name, address, and a link to this thread.

Thank you,
      Nichole
  • Just an update:

Tech came out today and validated that nothing looks wrong except that the drop had not been replaced in quite some time. He is escalating to the team to schedule and replace said drop. I will report back when that occurs with my findings, as the issues is still occurring. 

vegasuser702
      New Contributor

The tech also recommended that I plug in directly to my modem from my PC and observe the results;

Under 1000 packets sent/receive, I am sitting at 1% packet loss, AVG ~30ms, Worse 3500ms to the destination of 8.8.8.8. The results are very consistent.

This is par for the course, what I expect from the service in the last 6 months. When it is working as expected, I do see 0% loss, albeit a few packets with an AVG of >20ms with no worse than 100 or so spike.

I am recording this information to show that no matter what the situation is (Host -> Router -> Modem, or Host -> Modem), I still see similar issues. 

I hope that issues similar to this weekend do not reoccur, as my service was completely impacted (about .10 mbps down with 5 mbps up) - but if it does occur I will be sure to update.

vegasuser702
        New Contributor

Positive note - Tech was able to stop by and replace the drop - monitoring and will report back

• I am going to place my router in line once again, as the data that I have collected has concluded that my issue is still occurring within my modem (or onward) and my router has nothing to do with it. 

Considering how consistent the packet loss is, I expect that it will go out again and I will be left waiting days for assistance (which is unacceptable).

I hope that someone tries to reach out to assist, because I am going to look elsewhere for service at this point. Getting someone out for assistance was hell and since it didn't resolve anything - I am left wondering when I can expect consistently good service.

I understand that the issue in intermittent, but while the issue is ongoing - no phone/chat tech can help beyond telling me there is packet loss or rebooting. If I do experience a loss, like I did over the weekend and I cannot get help - I will utilize 15Mbps DSL over spotty 100Mbps service. 

Thanks.