Forum Discussion

JohnSmith87
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Cox is blocking my Corporate SSL VPN

Multiple company machines being used at home.  VPN will not connect.  Sporadically it will connect for a few seconds and then disconnect.  Occasionally it works after hours of connecting and disconnecting. 

I know it's Cox blocking because these laptops work on VPN everywhere else.  And they worked fine from home when I had Verizon FIOS before I switched to Cox.  No issues.

I had the rented Panoramic Wifi router from Cox, and I even tried purchasing/activating my own Arris router/modem.  Still the same thing.  I know you will ask but these are the ports my VPN client uses outbound, in addition to 443

VPN Settings TCP/8900
Policy Override Authentication TCP/8010
Explicit Proxy TCP/8080

2 Replies

JohnSmith87
    New Contributor II

Btw, Cox "Advanced Technical Support" just told me "We don't support VPN's", and that was literally all they would tell me.  They said I could buy "Cox Complete Care" for $10/month and get support for VPN's.  So, I have to pay extra to get support for something that should already work.   Worst customer service I've ever dealt with.

Gus_
    New Contributor

This is really shady business practice. I don't doubt they are restricting certain things like this to squeeze customers for every penny. Falls in line with their bandwidth caps that do not scale with your internet package. Want faster speed? No problem, but if you actually make use of that speed you pay hefty fines..

I can say that Cisco Anyconnect client works for me connecting to my company, believe it's all port 443. I work full time from home with the Cisco VPN. I can also make use of another VPN service from Express VPN. Although that doesn't connect to the company I'll bet you could VPN through a VPN to mitigate Cox's awful shakedown practices. Unfortunately other VPN services cost monthly.. 

Alternatively avoid Cox completely and get a 4G hotspot, either pay the extra for your smart phone bill or get a 4G home router. Those companies have decent prices and pretty much unlimited data. Only issue is signal quality but the speeds are very much comparable to a cable connection.