Forum Discussion

CBush
New Contributor
5 years ago

Slow upload speed since free speed upgrade

Up until July 3 2019 I had the preferred 100/10 internet package in my Cox bundle and had 0 issues with upload speeds and streaming to Twitch.tv. Since the free upgrade to 150/10 for internet my upload speeds have varied from .5mb to 12mb. Download speeds have not been an issue at all.

On July 14 i was able to stream to twitch for about 5 hours with 0 issues. upload speed that day was steady around 11mb with download around 190mb ( great stuff btw)

On July 15 i had a tech come out from a scheduled appointment due to issues prior to the 14th of slow upload speed. The tech ran his tests with his meter, at first he showed uploads of 2mb and downloads of 225mb. He made several calls and ran back to back to back tests. Eventually he was able to steadily pull uploads of 9.75mb and downloads of 225mb. With a laptop hardwired to the modem right next to him using his ethernet cable the laptop was only able to do 1.3mb upload and 185mb download. He was baffled to say the least. He also told me that getting 3mb upload on my plan is within acceptable limits for my plan, needless to say my jaw hit the floor from that.

now today after running multiple speedtests on the cox site, on speedtest.net and on testmy.net of which all 3 show entirely different results. On the cox site i get 7 up and 180 down, on speedtest i get 4.5 up and 185 down, and on testmy i get 1.8 up and 180+ down.

I have ran traceroutes to twitch servers, i have run the twitch upload speedtest tool to find the best server ( which showed no server acceptable to connect to). I ran a stream for 7 mins just to see how bad it was, it resulted in 96% of the frames being dropped, replay of that stream is like watching a stop motion film of images spliced together by a 5 yr old.

Based on a conversion with the tech, when the upgrade to the 150mb download was done. the frequencies that are used for download and upload where shifted from what was used when the internet was 100/10. He also tried to tell me that others have had issues similiar  and it was resolved by upgrading to the 300/30 ultimate package, which is not an option for me as i dont want to spend an extra 20-25 bucks a month for something that may or may not solve an upload speed issue that only cropped up after the upgrade from the 100/10 to the 150/10.

So my question is: When will I see my upload speeds maintain some amount of steadiness to allow me to stream?

No RepliesBe the first to reply