Forum Discussion

coxcommy
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Cox Premier now you're streaming at 150 Mbps except your not

Cox e-mailed us about increasing Premier to 150 Mbps. Reset the modem twice but not consistently seeing the new speeds. We're seeing 80-90 Mbps down and 8-9 Mbps down even when hardwired to the modem. What is required to get the new speeds? We'd benefit more from consistent upload speed usually see 8-9 Mbps but sometimes 5-6 Mbps up.

Your ping result is 29. Your jitter result is 13.
Your download result is 86.1 Mbps.
Your upload result is 8.1 Mbps.

7 Replies

quadbock
    New Contributor

Same problem here.  I online-chatted with a techy and they said that I am provisioned for 150Mbps.  They sent the "codes" again to make sure my modem was configured correctly, but no dice, unfortunately, still "only" 100Mbps speeds.   

A while back, when Cox upgraded us 50Mbps users to higher speeds, I went through a bunch of calls with the techies and ultimately just gave up.  About a week later, I was magically up to the higher speeds, so I have to assume it was something on their end.

Also, I had Cox hardware techies out at my place last year and they replaced all my cables, so for this "free upgrade", that shouldn't be the problem.

I know this post isn't helpful to anyone in the same predicament, but hey, I'll wait a few weeks and see if anything changes like last time :)

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III
      They sent the "codes" again to make sure my modem was configured correctly, but no dice, unfortunately, still "only" 100Mbps speeds.   

I suspect your computer has a 100 Mbps NIC.  Is 100 Mpbs your actual speed or is that an approximation, i.e. actual speed is high 90s maybe?  If you do have a 100 Mbps NIC, your download speed can never reach or exceed 100 Mbps unless you upgrade your NIC, even if Cox is pushing speeds in excess of 100 Mbps to your modem.  The speed to your computer should max out somewhere just below 100 Mbps due to network overhead.

• I have the same issue. Saw the email, reset my modem, ran a speed test and saw no difference

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @makemyinternetfaster Hello, were you on a wireless connection or hard-wired connection when running this speed test? For optimal results, we recommend performing a speed test on a hard-wired connection, preferably using the Cox Internet Speed test tool, http://bit.ly/2VsdGbX. What speeds are you receiving? If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com, we're here to help. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

coxcommy, your Network Interface Card (NIC) may not be capable of speeds over 100 Mbps.

To test on a Windows computer:

Open "Control Panel"
    Select "Network and Internet"
    Select "Network and Sharing Center"
    Select "Change adapter settings"
    Right Click on “Ethernet" or "Local Area Connection”
    Click “Status”

Status will show you the NIC's Speed.

A  PC with a 100 Mbps NIC will show 100.0 for speed.   Cox may be pushing download speeds well in excess of 100 Mbps to your modem, but if your computer has a 100 Mbps NIC, it won't be able to obtain those download speeds without a NIC upgrade.  Actual speeds will max out somewhere below 100 Mpbs due to network overhead.

A PC with a 1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps NIC will show 1.0 Gbps for speed.

ekhawaii
      Contributor

Thanks CurtB for you Network status procedure..I'm lucky because my Netgear Router, Model c6900 indicates a status Speed: 1.0Gbps...after restart I went from 180Mbps to about 218 Mbps download using the Cox Speed test to my local OrangeCounty server.  Sorry for those still fighting with this issue.

coxcommy
      New Contributor III

Thanks. It's a intel ac 8265 max and 886.7 Mbps not quite gig speed capable but should easily handle 150 Gbps.