Forum Discussion

iamkimchi
New Contributor III
5 years ago
Solved

What internet speeds/package am I really on?

When I signed up, I signed up for the Preferred Package.  When I log on to my account, it says the "Preferred 150 Internet Service Up to 150 Mbps download"

But when I go to the Cox Speed Test Page, it says "You have COX INTERNET PREFERRED 100 with speeds up to: 100 Mbps download | 10 Mpbs upload"

Cox website has the preferred package as being 150 Mbps.

Would like to know as my speed tests (from Cox, and other services) only have me at 120Mpbs, which would be slow if I was on the 150 package.

• @iamkimchi Hello, can you please unplug the modem, wait ten seconds and plug it back in for me? After, would you be able to hard-wire a PC or laptop directly to the modem and perform a speed test for us, using the Cox Internet Speed Test tool?

http://bit.ly/2VsdGbX

Your modem levels look healthy now, and I'm not detecting any packet loss at this time. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

5 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

There is only 1 "Preferred" plan and Cox recently increased it from 100 to 150 Mbps.  It sounds like Cox didn't update the text on their Speed Test page.  It happens.

If you're measuring 120 Mbps, your channel is 150 Mbps.  You won't measure 150 Mbps due to network overhead.  120 Mbps is good.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @iamkimchi Hello, can you please unplug the modem, wait ten seconds and plug it back in for me? After, would you be able to hard-wire a PC or laptop directly to the modem and perform a speed test for us, using the Cox Internet Speed Test tool?

http://bit.ly/2VsdGbX

Your modem levels look healthy now, and I'm not detecting any packet loss at this time. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      iamkimchi
      New Contributor III

I will do this when I get home and report back.  Thank you.

iamkimchi
      New Contributor III

Looks good.  After reboot, seems to have gone back to expected speeds.