Forum Discussion

BradleyC95
New Contributor
5 years ago

Internet speeds not as advertised

Recently setup Cox internet in my new apartment. I am paying for the 30 download and 3 upload speed but I am getting nowhere near that. On my laptop I am getting around 3 down and 2 up and it is the same with on my xbox and desktop pc. The modem is brand new and the router is one I got from a previous roommate who also used it on Cox and got appropriate speeds. Any ideas as to why I would be getting such low speeds?

4 Replies

• BradleyC95,
    I can see how that would be frustrating. I'd like to help. Please try connecting your PC directly to your modem using ethernet (bypassing the router.) Then run a test at http://bit.ly/Cox-Speed-Test which will log to your account for later review if you sign in.

Colleen D.
    Cox Support Forums Administrator
      BradleyC95
      New Contributor

I've tried a direct connection speedtest and got the same results. The modem is a new CM400 model from Netgear which advertises up to 340 Mbps speed so that should not be the issue.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The CM400 isn't a router, so congestion isn't an issue during your tests.  However, background processes on your laptop can also use bandwidth while you're testing:  software updates, email, add-ons, etc.