Forum Discussion

laggyinternet
New Contributor
5 years ago

Packet Loss when Gaming

When I game there's always a hiccup of lag when I'm playing every few seconds. Here's a screenshot of my pingplotter during some gaming, is the hop at 7 indicative of something wrong? Using a Netger R7900p router.

https://imgur.com/a/SpAb6qm

5 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, I noticed you're performing a traceroute on a wireless connection. In viewing the traceroutes, hop 6 and hop 7 are Cox Communications and Google servers, respectively. In regards to the "100% packet loss," this could be ICMP deprioritization. Some servers and routers down-prioritize ICMP echo requests. This is normal, and isn't indicative of an issue, as the packets still reach future hops without timing out. Are you able to perform a traceroute on a hard-wired connection, and include trace it to the videogame server IP Address you're having issues with? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      laggyinternet
      New Contributor

I actually did it on a wired connection. I'm not sure how to ping the video game server, as I play a lot on netplay through traversal servers. 

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        What videogames do you normally experience issues with? I would recommend locating the IP Address of the game server you're playing on and performing a traceroute to that specific IP Address. If latency or packet loss takes place on a server that does not belong to Cox Communications, this would be outside the scope of our troubleshooting. Your modem levels look solid, and I'm not seeing any packet loss at this time. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator