Forum Discussion

Rockwood
New Contributor
5 years ago

Horror Story of COX Internet Services. 5 days of loss of pay, hours of follow-up and yet not connected

Let me narrate my ordeal using Cox Internet Services. It all started nice, like a new relationship. We move to CT from NJ and rented an apt. We found COX was the internet service provided and went online and opened an account and picked up the equipment from a COX store and hooked up the equipment and we are up and running. All this happened overnight and we are happy. We used the service for almost 3 months and then we had to move to and other apt in the same community.

On April 13th we moved to the new apt. We informed about our move and initiated the transfer. In the new apt we notice the internet wire was cut short and did not have the coaxial female pin. I called CS(customer service) and they said they would charge $75 for a technician visit. I was reluctant on spending $75 for that pin. Fortunately, I found a COX guy and asked him to help me with that pin and he did and told it better to call a technician as he can not help because he has the other appointment. I called CS and got an appointment. They said it takes a week for a technician to come in. Though I was annoyed with the timeline I OKed it. The technician came and did try to use the small cable and try to clamp the pin on it and was unsuccessful. He said he needs a longer cable to clamp the pin and needs a hole in the wall that can fit his fist. I tried reaching my maintenance guys and they were out as it was already past 4 pm. The technician who came in told me that he would raise a request and report finding and requested to get the hole made for the next technician.

My apt maintenance guy came in the next day and made the hole in the wall as required and said just found a small cable. I waited for the next tech to come in for a week and no one called. I called the CS and found that no ticket was raised and no appointment fixed. CS advised booking an appointment again which is 5 days away. As it is an open case, I requested a followup appointment the next immediate date, CS says that doesn't happen that way. I will have to wait for 5 days. After 5 days a new technician walks in says "I can not find the cable to clip the pin and finding the cable is not my dept as I am just a contractor I have a limited role. He said he would inform his supervisor and left. I immediately called CS and they said they do not have the feedback yet and would schedule accordingly. Surprising first time without my involvement I got a call from a technician (Lamarr) who claims that is working directly with COX and not a contractor. He said he would take personal responsibility and fix this issue and would update us on the issue. He asked for 3-4 days more. Even after 4 days no call from Lamarr, I reach out to him and he says COX would have scheduled a person and has no idea what is happening. Lamarr made tall claims that he would resolve and has no idea of the case.

Again I had to call CS and then they set up another technician. The most irritating part is CS doesn't know what is happening at ground level and the ground level techs don't properly communicate the issue to CS. Finally, an appointment was set again and this time it was 12-3pm was the time frame. Even at 2 pm, I didn't receive any call from COX. I called Lamarr and enquired. He said he would look into it. At 2.20pm I get a call from a technician saying he would need the Apt maintenance guy to be present and access to the first floor apt, he would be there in 20mins. I called for the maintenance guy and he came right away. It past 2.45 and I called again and he says he is stuck in traffic would take 20 mins more. My maintenance guy was becoming restless and his shift would end at 4 pm. I called again after 20min and the same story. At last, he came at 3.50 inspected the place again and said as the maintenance guy would leave now and he needs access to the apt below he would come back again when he has access to the below apt. I should have been informed about access to below apt at least a day before to get access however, they gave me 20min heads up. I offered to speak to the apt tenant below my apt but when I knocked on the door no one responded. When I requested technician to wait for some time he brushed me away saying he can not barge into any one's house.

After all this, I was frustrated and pissed off. I called CS to cancel my account and find another internet service. I canceled the services and tried looking for an alternate service provider. Unfortunately, there is none in my area. I had no other option other than COX. I called them again to reactivate & schedule an appointment, this time I had a guy come down and this guy again turned out to be a contractor but understood the issue right away and called his supervisor to the location. This technician told me the Dept MDU has to do the wiring and has given me a ticket number. Since then I called more than 5 times to CS and the first representative said it 24-48 hrs I would get a call. I called after 1 day the next one said they would not know when would this happen. It usually takes 1-2 months. the 3rd 4th and 5th had different answers. No one has a clear idea when this is going to complete. I tried frantically to escalate the issue with CS, however, few said there is no way I can do this, some took the complaint and said they do not have a complaint number.

Even today I am not connected to the internet, having the internet has become very important as I had my parent with me who do not have a way to reach me in case of emergency during the office hours

I am hoping if someone would read this and take some serious action and resolve

2 Replies

• It looks like the main drop/line coming to your apartment is what needs to be replaced and our technicians have been having trouble accessing the other units that it goes through in order to replace it. One of our field supervisors has noted that they will be out tomorrow with the assistance of the property maintenance department to get access to everything and replace the line.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Rockwood
      New Contributor

Your technicians are lying. No one tried accessing the other units. I was there and I wanted to help by asking the other unit's tenants. He was not willing to wait for it. Yes, I did have a technician call us about the appointment.