Forum Discussion

CH53
New Contributor
5 years ago

able to receive but not send email since up"grade"?

Both of my kids are away at college and using Windows 10, office 365 - most current version - can receive email but not send - the timing is suspiciously at the same time of the cox email security update.  I worked with my daughter for 2 hours trying all different IMAP settings - combinations of SSl/TLS, StartTLS, or auto option along with the combination ports 587 and 465.  I also tried with Pop settings without any luck.  SMTP.COX.NET does not work!  We received the following error message: the server responded 550 - email rejected; 0x800CCC6F when trying to send emails from Outlook, along with several other different error messages depending on the combination of options we tried.  

Completely removed the account from outlook and added it back without any luck.  Can access and send email through webmail interface so I know that user/name password are correct.

Checked IP address blacklist for my daughters IP - not on the list.  Nothing has changed on her computer since before this issue - the only issue is the cox security change.

I can add the account to my computer at home and send/receive email using my outlook account (Windows 10, outlook 2013 pro).  Not sure why a newer laptop, with the most current version of outlook is not working.  Any suggestions?  Based on the forum - it appears that this is not an isolated incident................

2 Replies

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi CH53, are you able to send and receive emails on our Host server (myemail.cox.net)? I recommend sending an email to yourself on myemail.cox.net, to test the theory. If you are able to send and receive without issues, we recommend checking to see if your IP Address is on a blacklist using Spamhaus, http://bit.ly/2HVtZ8v.

Here's a list of our email error codes, and 550 - email rejected is on this list, http://bit.ly/2HEbtkO. Here is a step-by-step instruction guide on setting up the email client on Outlook. - Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator