Forum Discussion

Slag
New Contributor
5 years ago

Mac Mail Cannot Send SMTP Outbound Mail Since 24 April 2019 Cox Update

All;

I am surprised no one is reporting my symptoms.  My mac desktop is connected to a netgear router and an ARRIS modem.  The setting for the outbound server are smtp.cox.net, port 587 (tried the old 465), and password authentication with ssl/TLS checked.  IF I plug this desktop into my phone as the internet, I can send outgoing mail.  If I use the router and modem, I cannot.  I had thought it was the router and upgraded to the ARRIS DOCSYS 3.1 - no change.  I had thought it might be mac Sierra OS.  So, upgraded to Mojove - no change.  

Only thing I can think of is that the authentication is trying SSL first before switching to TLS and the Cox server blows it off.  Apple has no way to completely turn off the SSL aspect of the combo authentication.  So, while my iPhone can send mail, my mac, on the cable modem, cannot.  Not the first time I've seen this, but this time it ain't fixing itself and I am out of ideas.

Any ideas that I have not thought of would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Slag

6 Replies

Cards47
    New Contributor III

That’s very interesting concerning the SSL vs TLS with iOS. That makes sense and I’ll bring it up with my call with Cox today as well as their 3rd party email/network vendor.

Thanks for the tip!

phillyb091
    New Contributor II

Same here, I'm experiencing the exact problem since April 24. Like you, I can send out e-mail on my iPhone via cell service, and I even can send out e-mail from the cox.net website when on wifi. But when using Mac Mail or iPhone on wifi, I cannot send out e-mails. I receive e-mails just fine all around. I called Cox tech support this morning, and the rep escalated my case since he cannot figure out what the problem is. Another tech support rep is supposed to call me today. I'll post any solutions here. 

Slag
      New Contributor

Get anywhere with this?

phillyb091
        New Contributor II

Finally got an answer from a higher-level tech support rep from Cox. Turns out that Cox has blacklisted most ISPs following the April 24 e-mail security change. My ISP apparently is included on the blacklist, while my cell service (Verizon) is on the whitelist, which explains why I am able to send out e-mail from my cox account when on the cell network. So the only thing I can do at this point is contact my ISP and ask them to apply to Cox to be included on the new whitelist. Frustrating. I'll contact my ISP but won't spend much time trying to convince them to apply for Cox's whitelist. I'll just have to start using a different e-mail.